Thread: hand tools

hand tools

I was given these two hand planes by my grandpa. Can I still get the accessories for the Stanley No. 45? Both are in excellent shape. The Bailey No. is large. I've never used them. Is there a way to find out how old they are and what there worth?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure about the 45, but the 8 can be dated using the type study: http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/

There are certain features that changed over the years, and the type study attempts to assign dates to the changes. The knob, style of frog, and patent dates on the casting are the main identifying features. Yours would be type 11 at the latest (1910s I believe), I think, due to the low knob. Yours looks a lot like my #8 type 6, which dates to about 1890 or so. One of my favorites.

You'll probably have to peruse ebay to get parts for the 45. I hear getting all the parts can be quite the adventure. Best of luck, and nice tools.

Neat tools, the #8 will be a nice worker.

With a few more pictures I'm sure someone could pretty accurately date em.

Regarding the 45- the cutters and some various other bits come up all the time on eBay and having ALL the parts isn't necessary to having a good working combination plane.

More photos of that (45) could help us help you.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

As regards the dating of the 45 ...

GO HERE

Thanks for the reply's, I will take some close up pictures of both later tonight and post them in the morning. I will also start looking at ebay for the cutters for the 45. It's nice having something that has so much sentimental value. I also have a nice set of sheet metal hole punches that I will post also. I know it has the original sales ticket with it, it is an interesting tool set. All of these are in excellent shape appear to have all the original thumb screws etc...

Bill

Blog Entries
    William, Welcome to the Cave by the Creek.

There isn't enough information visible to give an accurate date to your two planes' date of manufacture.

The #45 looks like it has a replacement screw for the adjustable fence lock. The dark handles make it look like a later version.

The image of the jointer is not clear enough to make out the details. The knob looks like it may have been broken or replaced at one time. It also looks like the blade depth adjuster is of the large style, 1-1/4" instead of the early 1" used before 1920. Are there any patent dates in front of the rear handle?

Maybe after you dust them off you can post a few more images.

Here is one of my favorite sites for type/date information on Stanley/Bailey planes:

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/p...ing/typing.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)