Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't usually see this in a felled tree

Don't usually see this in a felled tree

Wow, very cool.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

More common than you might think-a very real danger to watch out for in the woods.

When Isabel passed through here, I had a tree downed like that. Cut the trunk in half and it fell back in the hole. About 2 years later small saplings started growing on the stump.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

That's a rookie mistake. You always cut the rootwad free first. If he were standing over that tree any number of things could've happened including running the bar right into his face.

Another to watch for is a tree that has fallen or be been cut can have a massive amount of spring loaded into the top and when you cut the main stem free all heck can break loose.

Not sounding snooty but a yay hoo with a saw is scary. We were all there once..
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 04-24-2014 at 2:33 PM.

I don't understand what he was doing pullin the saw back and forth.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis, YouTube is filled with guys trying to use their chainsaw like a hand saw.

That aside, I've never loved it when any wood moved unexpectedly when a saw is in my hands. It's a good visual lesson to start from the root ball end first, though.

Physics lessons should be learned with tennis balls and carnival games, not chainsaws.

The lure of the chainsaw is the tremendous power in a lightweight package.
    Just because anyone can pick it up, they seem harmless.

It's like percussion; seasoned players make the complex seem effortless.

I won't even cut log length timber without my chaps and face guard on.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Curtis, YouTube is filled with guys trying to use their chainsaw like a hand saw.

just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some secret trick lol
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

10. Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Cowboys with dull blades , thinking it's gonna cut faster do stupid's stuff L O L .
    I wonder how many of these Video actually lead to accidents
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    He was trying to make a dull chain (possibly including unfiled rake teeth) or an underpowered saw cut faster.

With my saw (a Husqy 372xp), I can dig the dogs into the wood and lever the bar into the cut just until I hear the saw start to bog and back off the pressure a bit with the 20" bar. If I have the 32" bar on it, I can just let the weight of the bar do the work. It's actually designed to run best at an engine speed that's somewhat less than full RPM due to a load under full throttle.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

A few years back a father did the same thing in my area and when the root fell back, his young boy who was playing in the hole was crushed.

While working for the Forest Service in the early 70's(TSI crew) we had many things happen to us while working in the woods. I cut a damaged white pine which fell end over end down the mountain. We yelled to whoever might be coming up the trail, fortunately nobody was. I had to cut a pine one time where the fellow workers had cut everything around it in all directions. When it was cut it would kick up in the butt of the tree. We had a safety meeting before the tree was cut. I was two feet from the butt when it kicked up and bounced up and down for a few seconds. I am not saying anyone would laugh at this, but this ain't funny. Chain saws can get you KILLED!

Kind o ironical that there was an ad for prostate cancer treatment along with the video. I almost felt the tree read that and decided to get a last erection just incase.

And he didn't cut the bottom so it tore a big chunk out of the other log when it fell.