Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used planer recommendations

Question Used planer recommendations

I want to get my first thickness planer. I'm planning on going used as it's not the only piece of equipment I'd like to get and I think use will be somewhat limited. On Craigslist, I've seen Ryobi, Delta, Dewalt, Ridgid and Steel City planers from 10" to 13" in the $200-300 range. Does anyone have a suggestion about makes or models that I should look for or avoid?

When I think of used machines, I think of old, heavy cast iron, which you can find in that price range. I have a Delta 22-560, also known as an RC-33, which is a 13" planer powered by a 2HP, 220v motor. It's an excellent machine.
    Chuck Taylor

Where I live, you see "lunchbox" planers on Craigslist several times a week. You see stationary cast iron planers at the rate of about 2 per year. If the OP lives in a similar place, he may have to be really patient to find a good stationary planer. To find one that is offered at $300 or less, he might wait forever.

I have had a Ridgid TP1300 (I think it is) for about 10 years now and other than the loud noise, I have never had any inclination to buy another. I use it quite regularly and have gone through countless sets of disposable knives.

Tom,
    The lunchbox style planer that I've seen get the most consistent praise is definitely the Dewalt 735. I have one myself and have no complaints other than it being loud. Unfortunately, when I was looking to buy mine I never saw a used DW735 for sale. Dewalt also makes a slightly smaller model 734. Maybe someone else here has some experience with that model. Makita also makes a great lunchbox planer. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krusen View Post
    The lunchbox style planer that I've seen get the most consistent praise is definitely the Dewalt 735. I have one myself and have no complaints other than it being loud.
    +1. 3 knife, 2 speed. Easy to adjust, doesn't creep. Knives are indexed to make replacement quick and easy - no worries with adjusting the knifes to the same height. It has it's own fan assist to help eject the shavings. Pretty sweet for the price point, especially if you can get a good used one.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I have a Ryobi AP1301 13 inch planer. It's okay. The AP1300 is the older version but has better features... I'd love to pick up one of those but don't pay over 150...

Avoid the steel city, and the craftsman, performax, and other brands that are the same unit. The gearbox fails. Dramatically.

Thanks for the help. I'm not in a huge hurry so I can bide my time until I find a good deal. At least, that's the theory.

Tom,
    I'd chime in to say that yes, the 735 does leave an outstanding finish with new knives (as well as any I'd say), but you can't take off much in one pass. On wide harder hard woods expect to be taking a quarter turn of the knob (64th/in). It's painfully slow. And loud! But all that being said you can pick up a used one relatively cheap and be up and running in no time. I actually like the older Dewalt 733 for a lunchbox planer, only has two knives but they can be sharpened. I have both a 733 and a 735 in the shop and as soon as I upgrade I'll sell the 735 and keep the 733 for taking to job sites. I plan to sell the 735 at a price to move quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Tom, .......... But all that being said you can pick up a used one relatively cheap and be up and running in no time. I actually like the older Dewalt 733 for a lunchbox planer, only has two knives but they can be sharpened. I have both a 733 and a 735 in the shop and as soon as I upgrade I'll sell the 735 and keep the 733 for taking to job sites. I plan to sell the 735 at a price to move quickly!
    Market must be very different in your area. I've never seen a used 735 offered in my area. Used 733's generally go for $250. - $350. I'd hold out for a 735 either new or used.

Dewalts pop up around here, though they tend to be closer to $300 than $200, as one might expect. A 735 would be my first choice but might have to go for a less expensive choice for a while. I have a project in mind with some reclaimed lumber that might not wait until I can justify a bigger investment. Besides, the amount of time and skill I have to apply to woodworking do not encourage spending a lot on equipment (I'm only about 2 hours away from Jeff, though, so I might see his 735 on Craigslist sometime).

Tom, when I sell my 735 it'll go up here first!

I agree with the poster who said think old, American (or Canadian), cast iron. I bought a Foley Belsaw planer/molder a few years ago for $275; my friend just bought another one for $250. 5 HP motors, easy to work on not that I need to do much, run forever. If you have the room, I would get a stationary machine. When you're done with it you can sell it for what you paid for it - not so with a screaming lunchbox one.

John

14. I have a Rigid R4330 that I picked up on CL used for $150. It is a 13" thickness planer and works very well. The blades are double sided and you can get replacements for $30 at HD.

The Dewalts are generally thought of as the highest quality lunchbox planers but since I am only a hobbyist I did not want to spend that much which is why I went with the Rigid. I have also heard good things about the Steel City planers but have never used one.

Patience on CL is key. Keep looking and the right deal will show up.

I had a DW733 that planed thousands of BF. The knives can be re-sharpened, but you have to have equipment to do that, or send the knives off to be re-sharpened. The DW734, as has been mentioned, has three knives that are disposable. They have two sides, so when one side gets dull, you turn them. Then buy a replacement set when the old ones are dull on both sides. The cutterhead lock on the DW734 is excellent. These DeWalt lunchbox planers are real little work horses that for the money, are a very good performer. A proven performer. I have moved up to a 15" 3 HP and a 20" 5 HP (with a 2 HP feed motor), both with spiral heads, but I fondly remember my "little screamer" days with the DW733.