Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cocobolo Smoother Build

I suppose that could be done as a precaution (to glue something to the bottom and then plane it off). The thing that makes cutting toward the mouth from the inside of the plane less convenient is that the wear is fairly long (the whole thing looks more like a y than a V, and working from inside to out is not very convenient. Drilling from the outside, you only need to drill just enough to be able to get something (a narrow float or a saw) into the mouth to open it up.

Not sure how a professional maker would do it, there's a million ways to get it done, I guess. I just like to mark the sides of the plane to about what the shape of the opening/wear will be so that I can see it while I'm drilling, and then layout a rough estimate of the mouth so that I know the drill isn't wandering anywhere right at the mouth.

What do you mean you don't find Cuban mahogany any more? I sent you a billet of it. Has it gotten lost?

I mean that if I waste it, I'll never find another one. I, of course, have it in a stable area. I never lose anything good.

I have more if you mess it up,but that was the only piece with any figure in it that I have. At my age,I thought you would use it more likely than I would!! I'm getting some therapy now that might help my energy level,I hope.

And,stop keeping the nice wood I send in the stable!!

I'll take that as a hint that I should do something with it. And I will. If the next cocobolo smoother turns out well (as in, I like every aspect of it), I'll use the mahogany to make a third. It's clearly much nicer wood than the cocobolo and about as dense or denser.

I need to pick wedge material for it, though.

I'll start the hunt for an iron for it, I don't want to just put any old iron and cap iron in it. I'll see if I can locate a ward or butcher iron for it, or something very very vintage.

I gave you the wood for an infill,not realizing it's need wood for a wedge. I can cut more wood for a wedge if you need.

Yeah, no coffin infills for me, I think, which is where it would get used. I'll think about it for a while - I'm not going to get in a rush for the second smoother here out of cocobolo because I don't really need it, just want to build another one.

I really like the look of your plane- very nice lines, wood selection and execution! I especially like the crisp facets on the wedge :-) .

Mike,

Yep . . . looks like I am out of luck getting that plane sent to me because it didn’t turn out well. (that was the deal in the other thread; if David didn’t like it he would give it to me).

Heck
    Oh well . . . I am still glad it turned out GREAT !
    and
    am enjoying seeing some of Davids work. Other than the vid. of him doing the one minute grind and sharpen to produce curls you can read through I have missed out on seeing all his other work.

Ha, ha
    David,

I see you have “MY” variable density plane adjusting mallet.
    Do you like it ? Or is it too light ?
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Davis,
    Wow, that is very nice. Love that wedge, just perfect.
    -pete

I never lose anything good.
    Not even a girl/woman ?
    You are lucky; and could quite possibly be doing something illegal,
    technically
    though you would be quite popular in Utah.

I have lost many a fine woman.
    Wish I could remember where I left them . . .
    . . . but there it is.

I'm getting some therapy now that might help my energy level,I hope.
    David . . . I would watch out for George . . .
    you could be in danger of losing some of that good stuff.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 05-04-2014 at 1:00 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post

Yep . . . looks like I am out of luck getting that plane sent to me because it didn’t turn out well.
    Well, I wouldn't *give* away a plane that has a mouth as bad as that one does. If I was making one to give away, I'd definitely make another. I think it will ultimately get a steel front sole, but not until I've made another one that's right.

Bit late to the party, but may congratulations too David. A bummer about the big mouth, but for the first one, it ain't too bad!

This one reminds me of the English boxwood smoother I have with a huge mouth. I really must do something with that plane. It is too nice to let it sit on the shelf.

Well, unfortunately it's the second one! The first was a single iron cherry smoother a couple of years ago, which came out fine (tight mouth and all), but there's less to think about with single iron and I wasn't happy with the tearout that comes along with a 50 degree single iron plane in a heavy cut. Not a horrible plane to use, but if you're going to go to the trouble to make a plane, the only thing I don't like about this one is the eyesore that the mouth is, which fortunately doesn't affect use. The rest of the little tiny things (might make the wear a little shorter in the next, make the cheeks a little thinner, and as george has described to me, the eyes should be round the whole way, and not round and then straight). It's always nice to do things twice, though, you can usually do a pretty good job on the second one and eliminate the troubles from the first.

Don't worry, the next one will be (almost) perfect! The only traditional plane I ever made had a huge mouth, it also chocked on shavings and it liked to chatter. So you are certainly leading on points!