Thread: Best finish for outdoor bench

Best finish for outdoor bench

I'm putting together a White Oak outdoor bench for my brother. This bench will be outdoors in South Carolina. I'm looking for a good product to hold up in the elements.

The best stuff I've ever used is Epifanes Marine Varnish. It takes 7 coats if you follow the directions, and you need to freshen it every couple of years to maintain the UV filters, but the stuff works really well. But if your brother isn't prepared for the follow on maintenance, I wouldn't finish it at all.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    The best stuff I've ever used is Epifanes Marine Varnish.........I wouldn't finish it at all.

John
    John nailed it once again.

The Epifanes is the best. Intended for those guys with mahogany decks on their boats. I have used it as well. Remarkable, both in performance and effort.

I used it on a WRC garden entrance that the client wanted varnished. If it was mine - I would go with the beautiful silvery-grey of weathered wood. WRC. WO. Teak in particular.

Life is too short.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

+1 to the above suggestion - I add only this - apply 2 coats of thinned 2 part epoxy to the very bottom of the legs - any end grain or flat surface that will be touching the ground. Apply the first coat to penetrate and/or seal, then do again to saturate and you will add yearssssss to the life of your bench regardless of the surface finish.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge