Thread: Baby Rattle Wood/Finish

Baby Rattle Wood/Finish

I have a request for a baby rattle and wanted to get some feedback on wood types and finishes. Are there any woods that I should stay away from for toxicity? As far as finish goes, I am leaning toward buffing bare wood and possibly sealing with some carnauba wax. I'd like to stay away from any finishes that could possibly get chewed off when the little guy grows some teeth. Any thoughts?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Mineral or Walnut Oil and bee's wax if you want a waxed surface. I probably would skip the wax and get it as smooth as possible and wipe it down with the oil, let it sit for a day or so and coat again, sit again and wipe off the excess. Those oils won't cause any harm and will add a little beauty and wood protection.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I've used maple, cherry and walnut for the few rattles I've made. I figured being close-grained it would be better than oak or something more porous. I buffed them with wax only. I would assume a film finish would hold up and stay shiny longer than oil/wax only. I saw one of mine a year after it was given and the luster of the wax had worn off on the part of the rattle that was always in contact with the floor from rolling around, etc. It showed it was being used and if it was important, it wouldn't be hard to rebuff it just for appearance sake.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Last one I made was from hard maple, sanded through 320 and then through the micro mesh. Shined up nice and still looks good after some baby gnawing.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Stay away from any of the rosewoods, especially cocobolo. Maple is probably the best choice. I agree with Scott on the walnut or mineral oil. I put unpopped pop corn in the rattle I made for my grand-daughter.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I've used maple, pear, and apple. I'm not comfortable putting any finish on, but that's just my own paranoia. All have been gnawed on and dropped repeatedly.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I used a shellac finish. I saw no possible harm. It polished nicely and filled pores so it is easy to wash. It did not chip or gnaw off.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!