Thread: Hardware Box

Hardware Box

A article about this box was in the June Popular Woodworking Magazine. I really liked the idea of getting all my brass hardware and screws all together and organized so I built it this weekend. It is made with Red Oak and has one coat of BLO to give it a little protection and will let it age from there. I did add some handles to the end of the box which I think it made a little better to grab and use. Hopefully it will be around for awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clever idea, nice work !

I saw that box in the magazine, but I have one question about it.

The hinges seem like they might be under a lot of stress. Since the tops don't touch the table when open, isn't there a lot of force on the hinges and hinge screws?

Just wondering how they will stand up over time.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

I guess there would be a lot of stress on them, especially if you do not open carefully. It would be easy enough to put a chain on the inside to keep the top from going all the way open if you want to keep from stressing out the screws.

Nice build Wade. Do you know yet how this will be stored within the shop? The handle on the front hints that it might be stored within a case and pulled out like a drawer.

That's a fine build. Looks great and very functional.

It's a 4x10 piece of pine.

If you properly drill and preset (with a steel screw to cut the threads) the brass screws,
    they'll last your lifetime. The catch is that you must drill a tapered hole.

I doubt the weight of the split lid even flexes the hinge plates.