Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clamp Confusion

The "footed" pipe clamps are also available under the Irwin brand name. Honestly, if I were going to do pipe clamps, I'd want some of this style in my arsenal, regardless of the name or color. (HFT notwithstanding...I wouldn't buy any from them ever again based on the poor quality of those I own) The foot is a nice improvement over the traditional pipe clamp design, particularly for working with panels.

I will not give up my parallel jaw clamps, however...Bessey K-body in my case, but Jorgensen Clampmaster or GS would be just as happy in my shop.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-26-2005 at 9:31 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Although I haven't had a chance to use them yet, think about a premium clamp like Bessy's and Gross Stabil. I feel that this is one area where money is well spent. When I was in the remodeling business may years ago, pipe clamps were the way to go because of the abuse they can withstand. However, Jorg F-Style bar clamps have a lot of flex in the longer sizes.
    So for woodworking, I decided on the Gross Stabil line. Mostly because I have a good relationship with my local Woodcraft Supply owner. I honestly have to thank him for the extra discounts and freebies I've been given during my larger sales. Try buying four clamps and see if you can't get 10 or 15% off or a free 5th clamp. (YMMV)
    Also, watch the threads here at sawmill creek. Twice, I've been alerted to clamp sales on line. Woodcraft had two Gross Stabil sales so far this year.

Good Luck,
    Bruce

When I used to use pipe clamps, I made some combination pads/stabilizers out of a square piece of 1 by. I drilled a hole in the middle of it, slid it over the pipe, and made it tall enough so that it would hold the pipe up off the bench. Place one on each side edge of the panel to be glued up and they will protect the edges of the panel. Cut some pieces of foam pipe insulation and use 2 pieces on each pipe for each board that is in the glue up. The insulation will hold the panel up off the pipe and prevent the black stains on the botton of the panel. HTH

I have a fairly large collection of various length pipes for pipe clamps. Most of my pipe clamps are HF purchased when on their periodic half off sales. Other than those I use the 'F' style bar clamps in various lengths (the kind with the clutch plates - not the true 'F' clamps). I don't worry about clamp pressure with these as I am one who believes that if you have to apply that much pressure to get the joint together then you have not jointed the edges well enough or not cut your joinery well enough. I don't think that you need a lot of pressure to bring a properly cut joint or properly jointed edges together. I can get glue squeeze out with out bowing or flexing the bars and that is a sign to me that there is enough pressure.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    I have a fairly large collection of various length pipes for pipe clamps. Most of my pipe clamps are HF purchased when on their periodic half off sales. Other than those I use the 'F' style bar clamps in various lengths (the kind with the clutch plates - not the true 'F' clamps). I don't worry about clamp pressure with these as I am one who believes that if you have to apply that much pressure to get the joint together then you have not jointed the edges well enough or not cut your joinery well enough. I don't think that you need a lot of pressure to bring a properly cut joint or properly jointed edges together. I can get glue squeeze out with out bowing or flexing the bars and that is a sign to me that there is enough pressure.

George
    Hurray George I couldn't have said it better. I have watched my Dad using pipe clamps for about 45 years now & have never seen one bowed yet & have never seen one or cranked one down that tight my self. Lets face it you'll be damaging the material your clamping with that kind of pressure that is unless your using wood blocks between your clamp faces & the project being clamped. Still there is something wrong with the joint if you have to apply that kind of pressure to bring it together.

I have a mixture of clamps like George's Harbor Freight 3/4" pipe clamps & HF clutch type F clamps & 4 Sears 3/4" pipe clamps from the 50's that were given to me by my Dad. These are the type with the little lever that you have to sometimes have to tap to lock. Some day I'll have the other 32 clamps like these & yes I'll use them. I am not looking forward to having them....& you all know why it has nothing to do with the clamps themselves.

I do wood working as a hobby & although I would like to have the very best tools in all categories this includes clamps it is not necessary I am not in that much of a hurry. WHY........if I have the very best tools I probably wouldn't have any money left over for wood & wouldn't need the tools.

Tools without wood...or wood without tools = 0 One way or the other you have just rusty tools or just dusty wood.

Remember it your going to have pipe clamps make you pipes at least 6" longer than what you plan to clamp i.e. 4'6" & keep pipe joint couplers around to extend your clamps. Make some 2'6" pipe sections as well as extra 4'6" sections for quick extensions. Sometimes you can find used 3/4" pipe. I have purchased as much as 17' for $2. Talking about galvanized pipe vs black pipe I'll say I have both & reach for the galvanized all the time & the black goes begging I don't like the stains or the fact that any glue spilled on the pipe sticks better on the black pipe. I have though of coating the black pipe with something but instead I may make some plastic pipe pieces so that they can be snapped onto the pipe to raise the project up off the pipe.

I have used Bessy's over at my friends shop which he purchased with a Jet cabinet saw & nice RBI planer along with a lot of other tools. He likes them too. But as of now has not gone out on purpose to purchase more. Clamps are kinda like cars unless you are on the road all the time they just set in the drive way. thats why I don't own a Cadillac, Continental or great big high off the ground 4 wheel drive either. No really I hate the way trucks are raised off the ground now days its the most useless thing I've ever seen. It makes a truck worthless to try to work out of.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen