Thread: Pine finishing

Pine finishing

I've got some of what my vendor calls Carribean Heart Pine, and it's gorgeous but seems to be very oily based upon its weight and the residue it left on my sanding drum.

How would you recommend that I finish this? It doesn't seem like it would absorb much oil (though I could be wrong) and because it seems oily (full of sap?), I'm concerned about how lacquer would adhere.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

What are you making?
    I'd be concerned about that residue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    What are you making?
    I'd be concerned about that residue.
    A plaque with an 8" x 10" picture in the center. The edges will be routed, some carved text and possibly an inlaid piece of Pao Ferro or some other wood which will also have carved text on it.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Maybe seal with dewaxed shellac first? Then topcoat?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Maybe seal with dewaxed shellac first? Then topcoat?
    Thanks David. I've been looking around and it seems dewaxed shellac alone is a recommendation because most finishes won't stick. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but you've got to listen to the wood.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Once you apply a coat of dewaxed shellac you should be to apply any clear coat you want over that, including lacquer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Once you apply a coat of dewaxed shellac you should be to apply any clear coat you want over that, including lacquer.

John
    That is excellent! Thanks John. Sounds like I have a plan.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Jofn is correct that you could apply other top coats over the dewaxed shellac. But for a decorative plaque shellac by itself would be an excellent finish fully durable enough. Shellac doesn't darken over time and is good at resisting the transfer of water vapor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Jofn is correct that you could apply other top coats over the dewaxed shellac. But for a decorative plaque shellac by itself would be an excellent finish fully durable enough. Shellac doesn't darken over time and is good at resisting the transfer of water vapor.
    Thanks Steve. I like this approach too because it's simpler.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Rule of Thumb - Dewaxed shellac sticks (can be applied over) to any kind of finish and any kind of finish can be applied over shellac.This allows you to mix oil based and water based finishes as long as you separate them with the dewaxed shellac. Shellac (waxed kind usually) was the furniture industry finish of choice before the very fast drying NCL (nitro cellulose lacquer) was introduced to the industry. Most older furniture from the earlier 20th century (US manufacture) had a shellac finish. Depending on your age, you may remember the "white ring" on furniture surfaces resulting from putting wet glasses on the furniture and getting yelled at by your Mom for doing so. That was shellac allowing moisture to creep under the finish and creating a "cloudy ring". Fix was/is to put a warm, drying pad/item over the ring to get rid of the moisture/white ring. Shellac is a very nice looking finish, just not a durable finish for heavy use/wetter environment areas like kitchens and bathrooms. I think your plaque would look great with a shellac finish. Generally speaking (without getting into "French padding"), shellac is another one of those finishes that benefits from multiple, thin layers and is easy to work with. Best of luck.
    David

That is awesome info, thank you very much David! Shellac it is. Oh, and yeah, I remember the white ring. Never knew what caused it.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3