Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temporary woodworking bench has arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I attended two classes at the Connecticut valley woodworking school.
    All the student benches are made of MDF laminatations, with a polyurethane topcoat.

Nothing else. A single vise, hanging off one end (right side for right handers, left for the rest).

They're stable, durable and work just fine.

Attachment 288561
    I could work with a bench like that just fine. My bench is one that would be classified as junk on this forum (and it sort of is, I guess). If I had a framed MDF bench, I doubt there's anything I generally do on it that would matter much. I'd glue size it first, though. I built a router table ala pat warner's description in one of his books (the versatile router or some such thing), and ran oak supports under it to keep it straight and flat, and it has stayed that for 8 years, but i've had to plane the MDF twice because it has unevenly absorbed ambient moisture. If it's sized, no problem.

That's how I was thinking Dawn could set up her vise, seems like a good one vise solution.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I'm not sure of your mass or strength, but be careful bearing down on 2 sheets of MDF.

I'm about 260 and when I really got into using my outside bench (two sheets of MDF 6x4 feet), the middle would dip because I didn't have adequate support under it. Even just leaning on it, the middle would droop.

Other than that, the stuff makes a fine bench! Well done steal, ma'am.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Dawn

Here's the dogs I made for my first bench. You could do the same with a hardwood dowel from the dowel store. The wire here is from a whisk I wasn't using, you could do that or even a heavy duty paper clip could work.

IMAG1834.jpg IMAG1835.jpg
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Nothing else. A single vise, hanging off one end (right side for right handers, left for the rest).

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    That's how I was thinking Dawn could set up her vise, seems like a good one vise solution.

I can do it that way, makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I'm not sure of your mass or strength, but be careful bearing down on 2 sheets of MDF. I'm about 260 and when I really got into using my outside bench (two sheets of MDF 6x4 feet), the middle would dip because I didn't have adequate support under it. Even just leaning on it, the middle would droop.
    I'd like to raise it a couple of inches anyway, so I was thinking I could make a simple frame of 2x4's or 2x2's to sit on the bases, and attach the top to that. Although to start out I may leave it as is just to test the height with the way I work - see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    The original top is most likely a material called Borco. It's no longer made. The best suggested replacement material is called Vyco. Vyco is that stuff they use on drafting boards. It is usually green, but comes in other colors, or, you can flip the green over to use the cream colored side. I'll be doing this with mine.
    The soft material is very dark gray and doesn't appear to be reversible. Other than some rust under the mat, the table is in very good shape, so I will probably work with it as is. Eventually may want to replace the soft material but for now it is fine. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks Judson, I'll give them a try. I'm pretty excited about this )

Quote Originally Posted by dawn villaescusa View Post
    Although to start out I may leave it as is just to test the height with the way I work - see how it goes...
    Good idea. You can always raise a bench easily, but it's harder to lower it.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.