Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange noise from Grizzly 17" bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
    I took a closer look this morning. Without tension the noise goes away. I suspect the blade due to the frequency of the noise. Will inspect it closely when I get a chance over the weekend.
    I had a similar problem with a small 10" Craftsman once. It turned out the bearing press-fit into the bottom wheel hub wasn't that snug. When the blade was tensioned and the wheels turned the bearing would move around a tiny bit in the hub and make a knocking sound once per rotation. I could only detect the noise at lower speeds, when the saw was turned off and the wheels were coming to a stop. And it only happened if the blade was under tension.

The fix for me (bought the saw used) was to use some Loc-tite stuff for gluing bearings into their bores.

I took the blade off and it runs quiet as a mouse. I inspected the blade and I don't see anything wrong with it. The weld looks good and the back of the blade is straight there and there are no kinks or bends, etc.. Tomorrow I'll readjust everything from the bottom up and see where that goes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
    I took the blade off and it runs quiet as a mouse. I inspected the blade and I don't see anything wrong with it. The weld looks good and the back of the blade is straight there and there are no kinks or bends, etc.. Tomorrow I'll readjust everything from the bottom up and see where that goes.
    With the blade off you are also without tension on the machine so the blade may not be the trouble, just an enabler of the misbehavior. Sounds like you're on the right track.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since it isn't every rotation, I suspect a bearing issue.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

After reinstalling the blade, put some tension on it, adjust the ball bearing guides far away from the blade and turn on the saw. See if the noise returns.

Could it be the alignment of the belt from the motor? Under load with tension on the blade, if the pulleys are not perfectly aligned, the belt could be catching on the side. Pulley's can slide some. Probably not the case, but worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    If it is the blade that came with the saw, well I think its job was just to keep the wheels from spinning during shipment. The teeth are purely coincidental. Since it's new check for loose bolts (everybody lets something slip sometime) then call Grizzly Tech and they can suggest other possibilities.
    That was very funny! I have the 17" HD and its 10years old and I'd 2nd that. If it's the stock blade throw it out! I run nothing but a Laguna carbide blade on it now and use it only for resaw. My 37 Delta (thats 1937) does all the small stuff.

I had emailed Grizzly to get an opinion on the noise and they gave me some things to look at. Out of the blue, they called yesterday and advised me they're sending another blade. It is, of course, the same quality as the original blade but it was nice of them to take the initiative and do this without me requesting it. +1 to Grizzly's customer service.

I would take Ken's advice and call Grizzly tech support, if for no other reason than to document a quality issue with their new saw.
    Request a case number.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Hope you get it figured out. I'm sure it's something simple. +2 on getting some decent bands.
    Building Inspector, CBO