Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lego?

Lego?

Does anyone know what Lego bricks are made from? I was wanting to cut some for a Logo, but was concerned they might be PVC. I have a Trotec Atmos Duo extractor rigged up to my Speedy 300. Anyone else cut them before? Am I ok cutting them?
    Cheers, Steve

--

Trotec Speedy 300, Rated at 89.8 watts.
    Atmos Duo, Rotary Attachment, Corel Draw 7

I think they are ABS. If so, you should be okay.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Yup they are ABS, I cut quite a few of them for different companies.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Lego is a PVC free company due to child safety concerns. I also found this that might help you...

Most parts are indeed ABS as it's a very sturdy plastic, but sometimes it's not suitable, or downright impossible to use. I've seen a presentation on quality issues given by a LEGO employee in LEGOworld a few years back, and as far as I remember there were between 10 and 20 sorts of plastic in use. The ones I remember are:

• ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) for most regular bricks
    • PC (polycarbonate) for transparent bricks, as ABS can't be made transparent. Polycarbonate parts on the other hand have too much friction when in contact with other polycarbonate parts, making them extremely hard to disassemble. LEGO designers are forbidden to have some PC parts put together in models.
    • Rubber for tires and rubbery things - that's kinda obvious
    • A less sturdy plastic (can't remember the name) for parts which are more subject to being bent, for example studless technic beams.

And the list goes on. I know the presentation hadn't been made public, but some people took pictures, so if I ever find it back I'll add a link.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

ABS and cyanide

I have cut ABS until I read that laser cut ABS off gases Cyanide fumes!!! Taken from

http://wiki.sshchicago.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    Lego is a PVC free company due to child safety concerns. I also found this that might help you...

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    I have cut ABS until I read that laser cut ABS off gases Cyanide fumes!!! Taken from

http://wiki.sshchicago.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter
    Bananas contain Potassium 40 and are radioactive too, Hydrogen Cyanide in the amounts emitted by cutting Lego bricks is present in *trace* only amounts. You will be exposed to roughly 40 times as much by eating a single apple pip. The smoke / fumes aren't nice but then again neither is Ammonia given off by melamine or Formaldehyde given off by plywood.

Treated with care it is very unlikely to cause any more problems than most other Laserable materials.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    The take away being, of course, that you should eat Lego bricks rather than Apple Pips.

<grin>

Dave
    TGIF!!!!!!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    The take away being, of course, that you should eat Lego bricks rather than Apple Pips.

<grin>

Dave
    TGIF!!!!!!
    You have obviously never had grilled Lego with Moon Pie sauce..

Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Has anyone tried cutting a lego build plate? I've had a family request to make a lake by cutting out a green plate and filling the hole with a blue one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Bananas contain Potassium 40 and are radioactive too, Hydrogen Cyanide in the amounts emitted by cutting Lego bricks is present in *trace* only amounts. You will be exposed to roughly 40 times as much by eating a single apple pip. The smoke / fumes aren't nice but then again neither is Ammonia given off by melamine or Formaldehyde given off by plywood.

Treated with care it is very unlikely to cause any more problems than most other Laserable materials.

cheers

Dave
    And don't even get me started on dihydrogen oxide, it's nasty stuff!

Gary

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Isn't that the stuff that kills more people than just about any other substance known to man?
    And that's just the recreational users!

Guy
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnson View Post
    Has anyone tried cutting a lego build plate? I've had a family request to make a lake by cutting out a green plate and filling the hole with a blue one.
    yup works well my friend, lots of air assist and fair speed works well. I cut a lot of the big grey bases for the local kids

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hilliard View Post
    Gary

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Isn't that the stuff that kills more people than just about any other substance known to man?
    And that's just the recreational users!

Guy
    Yep, absolutely right! Have you ever seen the msds on that stuff? I can't believe anyone would ever come in contact with it if they knew how dangerous it really is...

I have it on good authority that anyone who comes in contact will die.

Thanks for your replies all...
    Cheers, Steve

--

Trotec Speedy 300, Rated at 89.8 watts.
    Atmos Duo, Rotary Attachment, Corel Draw 7