Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird help...

Thunderbird help...

I use thunderbird email client and need help. I am trying to understand how to work the settings for controlling spam email. For the life of me it deos not seem to work as I thing it should. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

Oh........Wrong thread.

I was going to suggest Mad Dog 20/20 as an alternative.

My mistake.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Been hittin' the MD20/20 a bit?

I filter the e-mail through the provider. (Comcast). Haven't found much in the way of TB settings myself.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Oh........Wrong thread.

My mistake.
    I like your suggestion!

I use Thunderbird but haven't really needed to do much with junk mail filtering. Have you looked at Tools -> Run Junk Mail Controls on Folder? The other thought would be add-ons. The Thunderbird add-on ecosystem is not nearly as diverse as the Firefox add-ons but there are a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I like your suggestion!

There were days - months, actually - in my college/fraternity years where "what you can afford will have to do" was the rule.

Remember the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers cartoon characters: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have been using Thunderbird for awhile and use the Junk button for emails that are spam. After awhile, the program learns what you call junk and automatically moves them to the junk folder. I would guess that right now, it is getting at least 90% of the emails that I would call junk.

You might also want to look at Tools-->account settings---junk settings in the program

If I remember correctly, thunderbird has a button you click to identify spam. It will learn heuristically what you consider spam over time. It works very well, as long as you keep up training it.
    Paul

I had a '60, a '64 (my wife's favorite), and a '71 (not much of a car). Oh, wait.... Never mind.
    Regards,
    Dick

Blog Entries
    I just click on the little button under the flame columnjunk.JPG on any spam messages and I don't see repeat messages.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    If I remember correctly, thunderbird has a button you click to identify spam. It will learn heuristically what you consider spam over time. It works very well, as long as you keep up training it.
    And don't switch distros/do a new install every 3 months. I guess it'd be possible to copy the Thunderbird profile, I've never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    And don't switch distros/do a new install every 3 months. I guess it'd be possible to copy the Thunderbird profile, I've never tried it.
    I use Mozbackup to back up Tbird and Ffox.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/985211
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Exactly, love Mozbackup.

Big fan of T-Bird and Lightning (calendar for T-Bird), too. I use Lightning w/ a Google calendar and so my PC and my phones are all synced.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    This program is freeware (even for commercial use) and works on Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7.
    For me, the ease of backing up Thunderbird does not outweigh the pain of using Windows. It should be pretty easy to just move the .thunderbird folder from one installation to another, rename and change a line in the .ini file. I've never tried it though. There is an add-on to export and import address books and I leave email on the server until I delete it so no hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I use thunderbird email client and need help. I am trying to understand how to work the settings for controlling spam email. For the life of me it deos not seem to work as I thing it should. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.
    Does this help:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=39&t=1944065