Thread: New to me Minimax FS350 J/P

New to me Minimax FS350 J/P

Picked up this FS350 from a guy that was closing up shop and changing careers. I ended up getting it for $2100. I just had to replace the magnetic switch as he had replaced it with a 220v light switch. I wanted the safety of the lockout switch so the kids can't accidentally turn it on. This thing weighs a ton. It has a Tersa head and the mobility kit. I had an 8" jointer that I just sold and I have a 15" Powermatic planer with a Byrd head. I haven't sold the planer yet because I want to see how the Tersa head does on some figured wood I have. I am just waiting for the new M42 knives to get here. Worst case is I keep the planer and got a 14"jointer for $2100, but if I do sell the planer I will actually come out on top. So far it has been good but that was with some older knives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tersa heads are pretty sweet, imo. With a jointer that wide you can skew the work as well.

Looks like you got one of the older ones with parallel tables, like the well thought of DJ20, instead of dovetail style. I can't tell if it has the horizontal mortise attachment in your pictures. It comes in handy at times. They are terribly expensive, but I am tempted to buy a set of carbide knives for mine next time just to compare to M42. I can't imagine going back to conventional knives after having a tersa head.

I like the Tersa head so far. Way nicer than having to adjust knives. I think I am going to ditch the pork chop guard and get the Euro guard. Everyone seems to say they are safer. No mortise on the back, but I do own a mortise. Thanks to Jim Becker for answering all my questions.

I have that exact planer and it's a beast (even after I broke it to parts to take it to my basement shop the body was more than I could push myself).
    Tersa knives are very easy to change. You'd love the 14" Jointer and I wouldn't want to go back to anything smaller.

I own the same FS350 and have very much enjoyed it. It's a great machine...and that 13.68-whatever-inches-wide capacity (350mm) is so very useful in many ways! I'm a fan of the Tersa head, too...so easy to quickly shift a knife if you catch a nick...and the cut is very, very smooth. Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...