Thread: firewood made into an elegant box

firewood made into an elegant box

Here's a piece of maple burl I pulled out of the firewood pile that I thought was too nice to burn. It's about 6 in wide and 81/2 in tall. I put a ribbon finial on it to dress it up a bit, the ribbon finial I first saw was from Vinny Luciani in his postings and I copied that. It has walnut accents with a new type of finishing. I put 4 coats of danish oil on with 24 hrs between coats and then 3 coats of wipe on poly with 24 hrs. between coats. It gives a glass like finish that I really like. I think I got the finish idea from someone on the Sawmill creek posts. It's an easy finish if you don't mind waiting between coats. Here's a walnut box also with a cocobolo insert around the opening, with the same finish and it really shows off the glassy finish.P5070401.jpgP5070398.jpgP5070406.jpgP5070383.jpgP5070380.jpg

The first one is beautiful,but the second one is just awesome that is a really 100% turning,wood,shape,finish all awesome.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

both are super nice. good job.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

excellent work. I especially like the shape of the walnut piece

Really beautiful pieces wood, finish and even the little pointy things.

Beautiful pieces, very sweet shapes, and you used the wood to good advantage. I usually shoot for elegant boxes and end up with firewood....
    tomB

Thanks everyone for kind comments and for looking.

The finial on the walnut box is beautifully shaped. Both very nice pieces.