Thread: Rose Engine Lathe (Ornamental Turning Lathe)

Rose Engine Lathe (Ornamental Turning Lathe)

After several years and many hours of research and several months of design and construction my Rose Engine Lathe is now working and usable. Can't say it's finished because on-going enhancements and modifications are planned.

For several years I've been collecting material for the lathe. The one part I was having design issues with was the headstock. Last summer I was prowling through the surplus metal at a local machine shop and found a piece of extruded aluminum rectangle tube, 6" X 4" with .5" walls, this fit the bill perfectly. With the headstock problem solved I began to get serious about starting the design and construction. The lathe has been operational for about six weeks as I continue to work on it.

My lathe has only rocking action, no pumping capability. I may consider adding pumping action in the future.

With the index wheel and the vernier scale the spindle can be indexed to 1 degree.

The spindle is driven by a Leeson 90V DC gearmotor with an Automation Direct Drive that provides variable speed with reverse capability.

The compound cross slide is a Rockwell/Delta accessory that gives limited metal turning capability to the older 12" wood lathes. The top cross slide can be rotated 360 degrees.

I use a router with various bits as the cutter. The router can be adjusted or rotated to any position.

I purchased one rosette from Mandala Rose Works and have made two. I plan make some more rosettes and will buy more from Mandala Rose Works.

I've made a few sample pieces with the lathe, I still have a lot to learn about Rose Engine Lathe turning. I've studied every web site I can find and viewed many of the u-tube videos. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I'll post some pieces after I get a little more experience with it.

Thanks for looking,
    Dale Winburn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good Dale, you may find in the future, that the vibration from the motor will cause problems and you may wish to add a buffer ( rubber belt or similar to drive the bit , which will keep the motor vibration isolated, from causing the bit to add to the cut in really fine work. )
    John 3:16

3. I saw the items Dale turned on this new rose engine lathe at our club meeting yesterday............wow, what possibilities! I said it to the members present yesterday........Dale has a mechanical mind..........he has built a bowl lathe and now a rose engine lathe..........his abilities are enviable for sure, and it is always a treat to see what he brings to each meeting.

Dale, this is impressive and I look forward to seeing what directions you go with this!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like you found the Geoff O'Laughlin version when looking for ornamental lathe information. Mine was similar except I used wood instead of aluminum and I have a cross slide from a drill press. But I gave up because could not come up with a way to make rosettes that were "perfect". So a big thanks for the source of the rosettes, now I must dig out my "contraption" and try again.

that is talent......hope to see more of your work soon

Very cool. How are you keeping tension against the rider (the piece that follows the curves on the pattern wheel)?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Very cool. How are you keeping tension against the rider (the piece that follows the curves on the pattern wheel)?
    Scott, I temporarily use a spring pushing up on the bottom backside of the headstock. I need to add a link to lock the headstock while using the index function, I may incorporate the spring into that. I haven't made a final decision yet.

Blog Entries
    Always wanted to make one, but never knew where to put it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5