Thread: What is the Best Marking Gauge on the market?

What is the Best Marking Gauge on the market?

I have been looking at making gauges and was wondering what everyone is using. I am not interested in the pin point ones or the wheel one. The gauge will be used mostly with veneers in box making (but not limited to) and a sharp blade type seems like they would work the best and could be re-sharpened.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Best I have used is by Jeff Hamilton. www.hamiltontools.com

I like the Glen-Drake (Tite-Mark).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Some would suggest the best marking gauge is not on the market, it is in your scrap bin. http://highrockwoodworking.com/2012/...uild-your-own/

I really like the wheel type for what I do, so when I read your thread title I was ready to suggest the veritas wheel gauge. The pin types are for the birds IME, but clearly somebody likes them too as they continue to be for sale. But if your needs are very specific, and you like making things from wood, why not make your own? Precise yes, rocket science no.

Peter if I made one of my own I think I would make one with a disposable knife blade (x acto knife or some kind of off the shelf blade) so I would not have to sharpen. I was also wondering if any company makes them with off the shelf blades as some of the ones recommended and other brands do sell replacements but they are pricey and you have to buy them from the manufacturer and unfortunately sometimes manufacturers discontinue product then you would be stuck with it if the blades weren’t sharpen able.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I doubt it's the best, but I use one of these and it stays sharp for a long time. The blades are hollow ground like Japan chisels. I use it as a cutting gauge too for wood up to 1/4" thick or so, in a pinch for a single narrow part where it's not worth setting up a band saw. I've made Japan style marking gauges too using a ground hacksaw blade for a knife. I think Hock tools sells little knives for making your own.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product/157012/Double-Mortice-Gauge--Nicho-Kama-Kebiki-Dai.aspx

Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 05-05-2014 at 12:56 AM.