Thread: Amphora, in progress

Amphora, in progress

Here is my amphora a little further along. First, the flared top is a separate piece and not sure how best it should mate with the main body. If the top of the form should be flat and the neck spring from that or if there should be a small radiused transition from the body and neck. I left a little material to allow this but not sure it would look OK. I'm thinking a flat topped transition would be nicer.
    Now the bottom. I also left a little material there. I plan on a separate base and should the vase follow the curve of the form into an added base or should I radius the junction? Square or round base, or no base? What are your thoughts?
    neither the neck or the vase have yet been hollowed to allow for mods and plenty of finishing to do yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Google up Amphora for an authentic look. Probably rounded since square corners in clay create weak spots.

I like what you have done so far. IMO the top should not be flat, but continue the flow of the shoulder slightly upward. The transition point with the neck should be a sharp angle with no radius. I would not do a base.

You might consider a slightly smaller neck with a rolled top edge vs the sharp edge you now have.

The book shows no bases--many were blunt points as ceramics are strong in compression only. Only a small percentage showed a sharp angle at the base od the neck. Nice looking piece by the way. Check out google for many pics and ideas.

Yes, Google has way too many shapes to assimilate - tall and thin, pointed bottom, flat narrow or flat fat bottom, fat and squat form, round base, thick and frumpy necks, tall and slim necks... Many of them don't do it for me but still way to many very good shapes to try to emulate. Full agreement re the no base option, but this one is not for shipping and will be free standing, therefore flat, not pointed.

David, You have taken a different approach to the "amphora" there is nothing wrong with that! Visually while the elements may not "flow" in a single line together, the intentionally separate distinct design elements work really well together in a visually pleasing (in my opinion) piece. In fact, you may have helped me with a design concept. I agree with John, I would lose the base and just continue the form down... tuck or no tuck is a whole other discussion! I look forward to seeing how this one turns out. (I've got an amphora I turned awhile ago that I need to finish dyeing, maybe I should go do that now)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein