Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New vs Old Bandsaw

New vs Old Bandsaw

I know folks around here are big fans of old iron, so I think I know what the response to this will be, however, I'm looking at buying a ~20" bandsaw and have found three different ones that will all work out to about the same price range. The first is the Hammer N4400. The two used ones are 60's era Northfield 20" and a Powermatic 81. Both look to be in decent shape, but I suspect I'll want new tires and guides (and a VFD).

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

I'm not familiar with the PM . Northfield is way more saw than the 4400. The motor might be smaller but if direct drive the slower rpm motors have more torque than their rating suggests so you can't equate a 900 rpm motor with a 1750 rpm on HP alone. If your comparable was a MM 20 and you wanted to do a lot of resawing I might go in the MM direction. I run a Yates Y20 Snowflake but as a small blade saw. Generally in old cast iron the 30" machines were considered the start of the resaw size. Northfield in decent shape makes my call not even close. Dave

In general, new saws have more resaw capacity for the same wheel size than older saws. In my use, that's important. Wheel size relates to footprint in the shop, which a big deal to me. There's never enough floor space in my shop. That is, for me, the newer saws get more resaw height while requiring less space.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 05-05-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Price being no object, I will take new over old iron any day. I would take old iron over a harbor freight tool, but I think modern design and manufacturing processes produce tools that are superior to the old stuff in terms of use and safety.

A twenty inch bandsaw is getting into the industrial equipment area, leaving the hobbyist woodshop behind. A 20" bandsaw in my shop would be pretty awesome, but wouldn't be able to earn its keep.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Not in the same class of saw, but the 1950's era Delta 14" bandsaw I just picked up runs quieter and smoother than any other bandsaw I've owned, including a 14" Ridgid (heavily modded to run better), a 14" Steel City Deluxe, and a Jet 10" steel framed.

I wouldn't have thought it would be that much better, but it really is amazingly smoother. Obviously. it's mostly the quality of the wheels, balance, mass, etc...

JT

Keep in mind the new vs old is somewhat dependant on comparing the same quality level. Better materials and manufacturing processes are more relevant if you are comparing commercial to commercial. Northfield still makes a 20" bandsaw and it sells for about $11K. Machines are not like cars. My stuff from the 1930s still runs as true as new if tuned up. Some new is good, some old. You do have to compare equals though. Dave

I love old iron and my band saw is from the 20s. It is a 26" Crescent but the throat height is a couple inches less than the new Laguna 14" saw. I need throat height over depth so if I had it to do again, I'd go for the newer BSs that have more height.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

If you have room a 30"+ vintage saw can be had for a very reasonable price. I have a 32" crescent I bought in 1978. I put new tires on it then and have run it daily ever since with no maintenance other than oiling the babbets. The 32" throat makes it great for roughing out furniture parts.

Dave has some very good points on Northfield and they still have and sell parts for what they build. Tom

I think TH raises an important point.

Even though these are simple machines,
    replacement parts should be a consideration.

Modern machines of this caliber are like today's NHL;
    younger, faster and cheaper.

Jim, I have an 81, and I've used an N4400.

No contest for me, I would buy the N4400.

It comes with a nice motor, better guides, a great range of accessories such as extension tables and sanding accessories............Regards, Rod.

No bad choices in this conversation.

The Northfield would be my choice.

I swung by the Felder showroom at lunch today. The N4400 seems very nice. The wheels are very smooth with no perceptible runout, the guides look like they would work well, the table is nice and flat and sturdy.

Rod, its great to hear from someone who's used both, I'm leaning towards the N4400.

I don't understand how Northfield charges $11k for a new 20". I'm not against paying more, sometimes alot more for something thats higher quality. I just have a hard time beliveing that its noticeably better than a modern Felder or MM.

Cast iron work is expensive and foundries not in Asia are rare now. Even Felder doesn't own their own. Steel is a cheaper alternative and lots of effort has gone into minimizing steels bad qualities and benefitting from its good ones be make steel bandsaws the equal of the cast iron ones. I had an ACM LT18 and while a very good saw- no complaints other than an average resaw machine- it isn't as smooth as the Yates. Both a new Northfield and a new 4400 cut wood just as both a Bentley and a Chevrolet drive down a road. Hard to explain until you experience it, but the price difference isn't a wide as you would think. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Price being no object, I will take new over old iron any day. I would take old iron over a harbor freight tool, but I think modern design and manufacturing processes produce tools that are superior to the old stuff in terms of use and safety.
    Agreed. Plastic is much safer and sturdier than iron.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night