Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New vs Old Bandsaw

1. Unless a machine came out of a factory or is in pieces "as is" parts are not as often as issue as some would have you believe, in my experience. A machine that doesn't appear to have been used real hard usually hasn't been. Doing restorations to get a machine to like-new condition is another issue, but getting a machine operating adequately to work wood is usually not a money pit in my experience. Things like foot brakes are sometimes missing or broken and you can probably live without them.

In any case, a Northfield band saw is known to be a good one and the value will hold up if you need to get rid of it, believe me. I sold my Delta/Crescent 20" for $800 a couple of years ago without too much trouble and I'll bet the Northfield is much more refined machine.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 05-07-2014 at 7:30 AM.

The parts thing for old machines is way overstated. I would guess that 90% of my 40 or so machines don't have parts available and all could not only be made to run but also could be modified and improved. Sometimes a part or improvement needed to be made but a good machinist can recreate the world in a few days. Electrics can be the worst so it is really the 90s and early 2000s stuff that you have to be careful of and ebay sources much of that. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The parts thing for old machines is way overstated. I would guess that 90% of my 40 or so machines don't have parts available and all could not only be made to run but also could be modified and improved. Sometimes a part or improvement needed to be made but a good machinist can recreate the world in a few days. Electrics can be the worst so it is really the 90s and early 2000s stuff that you have to be careful of and ebay sources much of that. Dave
    Don't know about all, but I've got a 60's era Northfield planer, thats still being sold today with the same design. I paid 1500 for mine and a new one is 15k. They are tanks and call northfield give them the sn and they will give you the history of the manchine! Not saying other choices mentioned are bad, but I'd take the Northfield in a heartbeat! If it's three phase they will help you through that too. I recommend (and they will too) american rotary. Great solutions and they stand behind it 100% and are American Made!

Get the Northfield and you won't look back! I'd love to have one of their bandsaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I'm actually pretty excited to recondition this guy. I do woodworking as a hobby because I enjoy it, and I enjoy working on machines just as much as working on wood. My biggest concern is that I'll either have to spend a fortune on parts (either getting replacements or needing to get something custom made) or that when I'm done it won't work as well as a new one would have.
    First off congratulations on getting the machine. Though I'm now curious about your comments? Was this a blind auction purchase? Generally speaking that is not something I like to do, I've done it, but the risk is WAYYYYY higher. If you got to see the machine and give it a good look over you would already know if there was anything broken or amiss. Bandsaws are pretty simple machines after all. If the machine was all there and in good shape you shouldn't have much need for replacement parts unless you do something bad to it yourself. Bearings, tires, guides, and other consumables can usually be had from plenty of sources other than the manufacturer.

As far as it not working well….assuming she is all there with nothing broken, and your somewhat capable of tuning the machine up, I can't see any reason why she shouldn't work at least as good, if not better than, any other you were looking at.

Personally I'd call what you paid for it a very good deal. I paid about as much for my 20" Delta and I'm sure yours is more machine. But hey, if your not happy with it you can hold me responsible and I'll gladly swap my Delta for your Northfield and make it right

What Jeff said. I do look at wheels and spindles. Some old saws have Carter wheels which are great but expensive if screwed up. My preference are solid, steel, cast iron, or Aluminum for the top wheel. Dave