Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the right moulder planer, or other options

A lot of good info Here! I just started using a shaper and I'm reading this and learning a lot!
    Thanks All!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Forbes View Post
    Your math is correct. Pricing is good. I charge a price that would bury me on a single unit, but on 8-12 (my minimum and average), I make good money. Customer doesn't mind helping with machinery either. He plans to supply these "free" as part of a franchise package and get monthly royalties. The faster I produce, the better it is for both of us. He makes money on his investment, I get paid per unit, and I get some dividend for designing.
    This response scares the dickens out of me. How long have you done business with him? Have you had your lawyer look at the contract you have with him? Lots of shops have gotten into BIG trouble with a customer that makes lots of promises of high quantities. Sounds like you need those quantities to make money. What happens if you don't get those orders? The shop invests in machinery, buys lots of material, and then sales don't meet expectations. The customer makes themselves very scarce. I can't stress enough how valuable a good contract will be. He can still refuse to pay, but you may have a leg to stand on if you can afford legal defense of that contract. May be another reason to outsource for a while to confirm the quantities he promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    This response scares the dickens out of me. How long have you done business with him? Have you had your lawyer look at the contract you have with him? Lots of shops have gotten into BIG trouble with a customer that makes lots of promises of high quantities. Sounds like you need those quantities to make money. What happens if you don't get those orders? The shop invests in machinery, buys lots of material, and then sales don't meet expectations. The customer makes themselves very scarce. I can't stress enough how valuable a good contract will be. He can still refuse to pay, but you may have a leg to stand on if you can afford legal defense of that contract. May be another reason to outsource for a while to confirm the quantities he promises.
    Really, at least a shaper just to keep up with what I so now.
    I've dealt with him for little more than a year. I was in the stairway business but was worn out from the travel. Every job was at least an hour away.
    Stupidly, I had let my insurance lapse. Had all my stuff stolen by employees and after six months of chasing my tail, I walked away . The final job was a freestanding open rise radius case that became problematic. Even after the change order the cash flow was insufficient.
    He needed some stuff built and provided a space. I've built wood and iron wine racks, wood -metal rotating sunglass racks, and all his cash wraps, cabinetry, etc.... . He has built a franchise based on my work.
    The oil company he leases stores from is going nuts over the designs and is chasing a deal. If it goes through, I will be the weak link not him.
    Based on what I had left after I left my last business and what I have gained in only one year, I'm not too worried. Thanks for the reply.

Bailey's is having a sale right now, ends May 26, they have the Logosol PH360 on sale for 17999, and the PH 260 for 14999. Check out their website baileysonline.com The machines are both 4 sided molders, the 260 is available single phase.

Logosol makes some nice stuff that fits between hobby and high production. Their shaper looks very flexible. Probably not as a stand alone but perfect as a second machine. Dave

That work be an expensive "hobby" grade machine. Wouldn't be able to pay myself or eat for two good months .

Are Amana Tool Heads good? Found a 5/16 rad for single side and a 5/8"Dia for the double. That should eliminate any line at the tangent and allow for variations in thickness.
    They seem cheap. What brands are ya'll familiar with that use good long lasting materials.

Have you checked out the machine made by Williams & Hussey ?

Are Amana Tool Heads good? Found a 5/16 rad for single side and a 5/8"Dia for the double. That should eliminate any line at the tangent and allow for variations in thickness.
    They seem cheap. What brands are ya'll familiar with that use good long lasting materials.
    Freeborn is a solid choice. Tell them what species and they will steer you to carbide or tantung tips for best results and longest life.
    JR

Thanks, freeborn it is. I'm looking at a 5hp Laguna with 1.25" spindle and digital readout. Only thing I'm unsure on now is hp for feeder.

Thanks, freeborn it is. I'm looking at a 5hp Laguna with 1.25" spindle and digital readout. Only thing I'm unsure on now is hp for feeder.
    Nice. 1 HP feeder is standard for that size shaper. I've used 1/4 and 1/2 HP feeders as well and they work, but are not as versatile (ease of changing setups) or solid (mass to dampen vibration and stiffer columns).
    JR

Be careful with the Laguna stuff, I haven't seen one in person but have watched the video "tours" of the equipment and it does not look very industrial. Personally I'd go with something a little more robust that's used over their stuff new…..but that's just me!

good luck,
    JeffD

Carter, just for reference, here is a 5K machine on the used market, T130, 2005. Compare to the Laguna. DaveDSCN2155.jpg

5 hp is usually a pretty stout machine although hp is not the real judge. The design and mass of the quill assembly are more important. I'm a one pass guy, get the best finish that way - in my world. Like anything else, to get a good value you need to do your homework and spend some time talking to the seller. I always budget 500-1000 for surprises and fixes into the price. Here are some spindles for comparison.DSCN1448.jpg Left is a 3hp Asian. Next is a 6 hp Knapp, the T130, and a Felder 7-700 series. Again for reference. Dave

Thanks for illustrating that. I guess I'll do more research. I can't find that t130 less than $6,500.
    Last edited by Carter Forbes; 05-10-2014 at 10:03 AM.