Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many miles on a bike?

how many miles on a bike?

Im starting to look for a bigger bike, I try to do as much research as possible. But one question seems to be hard to find the answer. How many miles is a lot for a bike? I know cruisers are different from touring and sports. Im looking at a cruiser that has 50k miles on it but isn't terribly old, seems to be in good condition.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I wouldn’t consider anything with 50K unless it were deeply discounted. Not all bikes are created equal, a BMW K 100RS would be worth looking at. A KZ1000 probably not.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I was thinking a beach cruiser bicycle, but with 50,000 miles? Seems like a lot of miles for anything with two wheels.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I wouldn’t consider anything with 50K unless it were deeply discounted. Not all bikes are created equal, a BMW K 100RS would be worth looking at. A KZ1000 probably not.
    I agree with this statement....some bikes like BMW and others are built for durability whereas others can be worn out at 25,000 miles. Depends on the bike and how it was ridden.

When I had my Valkyrie I only had 15,000 on it but knew of guys who had well over 200,000 on theirs. Depends on the bike and how it was maintained. Liquid cooled would likely last longer than air cooled, at least that what the tractor guys will tell you.

Bikes with less plastic shrouding tend to be driven by mechanically involved owner. I would not consider all rides equally, based on mileage. Some of the high performance scoots are ridden hard, put away wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Bikes with less plastic shrouding tend to be driven by mechanically involved owner. I would not consider all rides equally, based on mileage. Some of the high performance scoots are ridden hard, put away wet.
    I disagree with this. I know lots of riders who have "high performance" bikes who are extremely diligent about maintenance. When you think about it, a majority of the riders out there on any type of bike do the same thing as vehicle owners - they take it to someone else to do the maintenance for them. It doesn't matter what type of bike it is. There are always going to be great owners and bad owners.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    When I had my Valkyrie I only had 15,000 on it but knew of guys who had well over 200,000 on theirs. Depends on the bike and how it was maintained. Liquid cooled would likely last longer than air cooled, at least that what the tractor guys will tell you.
    I own a Valkyrie I purchased a few months back with 51000 miles on it. That's nothing for a Valk, whereas some makes V twins are worn at at that point. Six cylinder flat engine, smooth as silk and quite, at least with the OEM mufflers. Purrs like a kitten, zero vibrations and faster than your ever going to want to go. There are a few for sale here http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/ind...board,7.0.html including one with only 4000 miles on it it northeast Arkansas.
    They were manufactured from 1997 to 2004 (I think) and come in a standard, tourer, and Interstate models. They're a fun bike derived from the 1500 Goldwing engine but without all the plastic shrouding. They look like a motorcycle should. I've added an after market seat (mustang) and a cruise control. Got both on ebay.
    Meet Betty Boop
    valk2.jpgvalk1.jpg.jpg
    Different color schemes for different years and models. I think this is the best color combination. I like the retro look. It's 98 Tour model. check them out online and at the above link which is the Valkyrie Riders Cruisers Club. Lots of support and parts still available. Some think it the best bike Honda ever built.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-06-2014 at 9:27 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

My GL1500 Goldwing has 82,000 miles on it and is nowhere near worn out. I sold my 1200 Wing with 100,000 miles on it. Still very dependable.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    My GL1500 Goldwing has 82,000 miles on it and is nowhere near worn out. I sold my 1200 Wing with 100,000 miles on it. Still very dependable.

John
    LOL another vote for the Honda 1500 engine. Valk engine is the same with additional carburetors.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-06-2014 at 9:29 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Update, It was a 1995 Suzuki intruder 800. looked nice, but 50k miles had taken its toll. The clutch was almost nonexsistant, I don't know if it needed adjusted or replaced. And at first start out like 0-10mph, the bike sounded like a golfcart when it just starts out, puttering, and the bike would shake. didn't matter how much gas you gave it. Im hopefully going to look at a virago 750 on sunday, I like the way they ride and I know theyre good for 100k

Curtis,

Do yourself a huge favor and look at a 21st century Triumph Bonneville if you can.

As for mileage, it depends a lot on the type of bike. A supersport or liter bike, aka sportbike, aka bullet bike (gadzooks I hate that term) will often be wrung out at 50k, if it even survives that long w/o being tossed down the road. The engines are highly stressed. On the other hand, the only thing that runs as long as a Goldwing in the m/c world is a Honda ST. Sport touring bikes (which includes most BMWs) will still be going strong at 6 figures as long as the regular maintenance is done. Honda is so confident of both the Goldwing (and it's derivatives) and the STs, that they both came with 3 year unlimited mileage warranties. For a mere few hundred dollars that could be extended to 7 years unlimited mileage. Generally, the smaller the engine, the shorter it's life expectancy.

The real reason to look askance at a bike with 50k on it is that there are many, many bikes out there available with much lower mileage. Why buy the higher mileage bike when you can almost certainly get a lower mileage bike for the same cost?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    That's a lot of pedaling. I bike some myself, but it is pedal powered. My bicycle is about 10 years old and I think I might have around 11,000 miles on it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Im starting to look for a bigger bike, I try to do as much research as possible. But one question seems to be hard to find the answer. How many miles is a lot for a bike? I know cruisers are different from touring and sports. Im looking at a cruiser that has 50k miles on it but isn't terribly old, seems to be in good condition.
    50K, not even broken in yet.

My R90/6 is well over 200,000, my previous R90/6 went to 300,000 before it was destroyed in an accident and my wifes R60/7 has 250,000 on it.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Curtis,

Do yourself a huge favor and look at a 21st century Triumph Bonneville if you can.

The real reason to look askance at a bike with 50k on it is that there are many, many bikes out there available with much lower mileage. Why buy the higher mileage bike when you can almost certainly get a lower mileage bike for the same cost?
    Id love a new triumph!
    I was mainly looking at it cause it was cheap, and came with sissy bar, saddle bags, and a ton of extras, thought it might be worth a shot. clearly wasn't .