Thread: Alumamark relaxing in the Sun!

Alumamark relaxing in the Sun!

A while (months) ago I mentioned using Alumamark outdoors. Alumamark is not really a outdoor material and will fade badly in the sun.. But.. I have also found that if you give it a coat of Krylon U.V. spray, it will withstand the sun without fading, and I guess if you waxed or polished it, it would be shiny again.. At that time, I had a piece baking in the sun for a full year on the roof of my garden shed. I was more than pleased when I saw the test piece. I promised to post a picture, but promptly forgot.. (it's an age thing) I found the plate on a shop bench, and figured I better do this before the A.D.D. kicks in again.. So.. Behold.. A piece of gold Alumamark coated 1/2 with Krylon U.V. spray, and the other half just left natural.. I don't think I 'should' have to tell you which side is which.. Yes.. You can use Alumamark Outdoors..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Wow, thanks for sharing your experiment.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

JDS's LazerBlak does not fade in the sun. I've only tested silver/black. It's been at least 1 year. Material is also a fraction of the cost.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Guys -
    Strangely enough, I have even used LaserMax plastics outdoors with okay success. Created signs for the fence 'round our Public Works plant. (using canary/yellow.) They are still pleased with 'em;' it has been 'bout a year. (red does fade in sunlight, still it seems to take 'good long time.) Think I'll experiment with the UV treatment idea - has anyone tried this on LaserMax yet? Don't think they had LaserBlak in colors at the time. ? - should probably use that in the future, uh? 'cause with the LaserMax I have had the wind cause breakage to the mounting holes. (placed 'em too close to the edge originally.) (strange the things we'll try, when we need sales, uh?_

Bill
    (Using Epilog 35W Mini 24)

Bill, LaserMax colors are UV stable - only the METALLICS are not UV stable.

Wes
    JP
    Last edited by Wes Mitchell; 05-07-2014 at 9:54 AM. Reason: mis-typed

Wes

Do you want to explain further.

Bill
    good find on the Krylon. I made several of those for garden club awards for a small town nearby. I replaced all of them in less than a year.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Wes -
    Your message was a tad confusing - but, I checked JDS's catalog and see now that LaserMax does say interior/exterior. Had it in my head all this time that it was for interiors only. I'll use it for exterior jobs with more confidence now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stearns View Post
    Wes -
    Your message was a tad confusing - but, I checked JDS's catalog and see now that LaserMax does say interior/exterior. Had it in my head all this time that it was for interiors only. I'll use it for exterior jobs with more confidence now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Do your homework. Not all colors are UV stable.

http://www.rowmark.com/laser/LaserMAX/lasermax.asp
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Blah, I retyped a couple times and missed my point. The colors are UV stable, the METALLICS are not UV stable.

Wes -
    After your post to me, glancing at the JDS catalog and selection of LaserMax plastics, I figured out that's what you meant to say. About all I've ever used outdoors are the reds, blacks, and canary - (for signs, value tags, etc.) and have never had a complaint. But, 'gain, thanks for bringing the JDS "interior/exterior" notice to my attention; I'll rest easier now when I use it outdoors.

Bill

I ran a test on LaserMax samples for an entire year. The samples were exposed to Utah winter and summer. As you can see all but the gold (upper left) survived with no deterioration.Exposure test results.jpg

Darryl

Nice job! To add to that, Missouri Botanical Gardens switched from anodized aluminum to plastic a few years back to get longer life out of their thousands of signs.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

This is Phil Noakes with Rowmark. I hope my comments are allowed on this subject. You are correct about the LaserMax line being UV stable, outdoor weatherable with the exception of the metals. My I suggest you look at the Metalgraph Plus for outdoor applications requiring a metal look? Please contact me anytime I can offer any assistance.
    Rowmark
    Director of North American Sales & Customer Service

Phil

Glad to have you join in.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7