Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your Woodturning Dreams?

What are your Woodturning Dreams?

Do you have any hopes or dreams of what you would like to do with woodturning in your future?

I would like to keep on making bowls and communion sets, learn to make hollow forms that are in the same universe as some of you folks here, and do enough turning that someday when I can afford my ultimate lathe, I can justify it based on skills and volume of turning.

I want to make the time to get some personalized training.

Oh, and add one more accessory - a pickup truck.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'd like to have a wealthy sponsor so I could pursue all the projects rattling around in my head. And a shop secretary to keep it organized and clean.
    A full scholarship for several weeks a john c Campbell.

Well you did ask!
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 05-07-2014 at 5:21 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

3. Suppliment my income in retirement and purchase my dream lathe [which currently is a Robust American Beauty.......unless and until a better one comes out!]

Perhaps some teaching if the right opportunities arise.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Before retirement I knew I wanted to get back into woodworking and stumbled into turning when I did a shaker table. Since I am on full VA disability due to AO and a heart condition, I do not need or want to sell. I know that to stay alive many years after retirement I need something that I am fully engaged in mentally and physically and turning fills the bill nicely. Smaller items like boxes, goblets and mid sized bowls do not cause the muscle strain that lifting large blanks could entail , so I limit the SIZE of what I turn to 12-14"

So what are my hopes and dreams? - I would like to be able to upgrade probably *just* to a Powermatic. I want to be able to explore the art to my best ability, including enhancement with burning, piercing, dying, etc. More classes at John Campbell is also on the list.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I want to turn a bowl that does not need any sanding. I also want to win the lottery. Probably about equal chances....

robo hippy

Some of my goals are already met - having turning being a basically self supporting hobby. I would like this to continue and increase a bit. :-). Enough to buy a bigger lathe - like many of you.

I am just getting into bowls and I want to become proficient at bowl turning. Mostly utility pieces.

I would like to continue to turn a wide variety of projects I've done various projects in my first year and a half of turning.

Finally, I'd like to use this art to somehow make impact in peoples lives, even if in small ways. More to explore on how that might happen.

A whole lot more time so I can make all the projects I have rattling around in my head...
    ...and then, higher prices on my pieces so I can work at a slower pace.

I like Jim's comment about a shop secretary. I'd take someone to do some sanding and finishing also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I hope and dream of a new set of knees(or legs) and some stamina maybe. Also some forum readers and friends who are open minded and not so negative/suspicious of new toys and procedures. Would love to teach young people this artform and have the body to keep up with my love of turning and sailing. How long can I go on with this list?

I would like to expand designs for my "negative space designs" pieces. I can think them up, but having difficulty figuring out how to achieve my vision , and new concepts to achieve the pieces on the lathe. Nothing new in that as it took years to imagine and work to achieve the designs I have already made. As for workshop issues, I would like to be able to afford heat for my shop in a climate that gets 40 below zero, and winter is longer than summer. Having to stop everything and await temps my hands can stand to work in, is annoying. VERY annoying.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I would like to quit being so lazy and keep my shop cleaner and/or neater. I have finally realized that I will always be just one tool away from excellence, so the tool sellers will have to make their money elsewhere. I have enough lathes. Time to go out to the shop and clean.
    Joe

My main goal is keep enjoying turning and not get caught up in trying to keep up with others dreams.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Buy a property that is abundant in species and burls. Add a 8 inch riser to my lathe. Finish my saw. Find a better place to sell my work.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

My dream is that I can still do this when I'm 90
    Do or do not, there is no try.

To someday turn items worthy of my new Robust AB.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Right now it's simple; a better lathe and time to use it.