Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSB or Plywood for painted shelving?

OSB or Plywood for painted shelving?

I am putting up some shelves in the pantry; 24" deep, 36" long. I was planning on buying 3/4" plywood, but the reviews on it at Lowes (the only place locally to buy plywood) are terrible.

The existing shelves are OSB. I always thought OSB was not stiff enough for shelves, but these seem to be doing just fine. Is it some special super stiff OSB, or am I misinformed?

The OSB with which I am familiar is about the sorriest construction material you can buy. I actually prefer particle board over it for some uses. As much as I dislike Lowes plywood, I would choose it hands down over the stuff they call OSB in my area. Surely there are other sources of building materials in your area besides those two options.

Actually, I have bought some fairly decent plywood from both Lowes and Home Depot on rare occasions. It all depends on who their supplier of the week is.

Osb for a pantry does not sound right. Even painted, wouldn't be very smooth or cleanable. Lowes has a 4x8 sanded cabinet grade pine for $29. . Or $31. Can't recall.

Wade, You mean particle board and not OSB maybe?

I would hardwood edge glue the ply if I was doing plywood shelves like that. Biscuits or dominos or kreg screws underneath into the hardwood.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Well - all 280 pounds of me waddled around on a roof covered with 1/2" OSB sheathing w/out going through it.
    When I say waddled - that's more figurative than actual - crawled on all fours, is more like it .
    (The good Lord never intended anything of my girth be more than 8" above ground ).

I'd still use plywood though.
    Aside from looking like 100 miles of bad road when you try to stain or paint it, OSB is nearly as miserable as MDF to work with.

I have some real nasty looking cut edges on a small bench top box I made to mount my Kreg K3 jig on & I used my Festool TS55EQ to make most of the cuts.
    I'm not sure it's possible to get a nice smooth edge on OSB. It seems to want to "crumble".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

OSB is a great sheathing material but I certainly wouldn't use it anywhere it would be visible. Even painted, it will not be a smooth surface and it will delaminate if it gets wet.

The big box plywood gets a bad rap but for shelving, if a hardwood face is attached, it will work fine. A 3/4" x 1 1/4" wide face of hardwood that is rabbeted to accept the ply will greatly add to the strength as well as hide the ply edge.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I am sitting here looking at the OBS on my floor joists as I post, and the surface looks like the shelves upstairs; but they ARE painted...
    So maybe I DO mean particle board.

How does particle board compare to plywood for a shelf.

------------------------
    FWIW I just visited the sagulator.
    It says that plywood is good, OSB is boarderline, and particle board is unacceptable.
    They all improve with an oak strip.
    Curiously, it says it doesn't matter if the oak strip is aside the board or under it. I would think that under the board would be rather stronger. No?
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 05-08-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Wade,
    If cost is a factor you might consider a quality sub floor material like AdvanTech. Available at Lowes. Pretty smooth and very strong.
    Dan

The sag in particle board shelves in big box cabinets is a great selling point for solid wood or wood edged plywood shelves.

Forget the reviews of Lowe's plywood. Go down there and hand select a sheet of their hardwood veneer or cabinet grade 3/4" ply. You don't want either OSB or particle board pantry shelving.

Have you used Sagulator to determine sag:

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

I plugged in 36W x 24D, 30 lbs/ft load, 3/4" fir ply and it says you don't need structural edge banding, although you might want to glue a narrow pine or poplar strip to hide the plywood edge.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I agree with the first part of Scott's post - above - but my experience leads me to dispute the sagulator estimate. In my experience - any 3/4" plywood shelf spanning more than 30" (maybe up to 32") will eventually sag. Yes, of course, the amount of load will make a difference but it seems that the nature of cabinet grade unsupported 3/4" plywood is to sag without much help past the 30" mark. Always a good idea to add a 3/4" x 1" to 1-1/2" solid edge or a side to side cleat set under the shelf about 1/2" back. IMHO.

As for the OSB or particle board or Advantech shelving - yeah, they could all work but will be rough and unsightly, even painted. I suppose you could add a solid wood edge and some shelf liner of some sort but there goes the economy of using those sheet goods.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Depending upon the application, weight and span, if you are wanting to an inexpensive shelf or shelving unit, then I am a big fan of MDF. The shelves would could require some additional framing, which you can rip down framing strips out of the MDF if you think it is necessary. That would be an inexpensive approach. I would totally pass on the OSB, even painted and sanded there is going to be potential for splinters in the future. Or you could do as others suggested and go with a 3/4" plywood, just go with a good grade, when at the store if it is not sitting flat and straight stacked up, well it isn't going to get any better at home, usually a BC or an AC grade.

I would use 3/4" ply (rather than OSB or even MDF) and add a 1-1/4" hardwood face (rabbet, glued) to the front edge of the shelf to help prevent bowing. 36" is the max allowable/recommended for an unsupported shelf - especially one that is 24" deep - and canned food can get heavy. Cheaper builder homes from the 70's used MDF in pantry and laundry shelves that I have been paid to tear out and replace with something better many times.
    David

Duh, the obvious and best choice is Melamine coated particleboard. Stain, chemical and water proof. More durable than any finished surface. Cleanly enough to be almost the only thing short of SS allowed in a hospital setting. Oh, and it comes in pre-ripped and edgebanded shelf widths.

Duh, the obvious and best choice is Melamine coated particleboard
    I was going to suggest that - but - the OP needs the shelves 24" deep.
    I don't recall ever seeing them that deep anywhere.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon