Thread: Deft Danish Oil availability

Deft Danish Oil availability

For the past few years I have used natural Deft Danish Oil on many projects with good results. It seems to work better in my hands than Watco, Tru-Oil or General finishes wiping varnish. My supply ran out recently and I have been unable to find it locally or online. (I found a few places on Amazon that have the tinted versions, but not the clear.) Does anyone know if Deft has quit producing this stuff? Anyone know of a source where I can buy some? Can anyone suggest an alternative that they like?

I can't help you on where to find it, but will offer my favorite alternative - Minwax Antique Oil (in the red can). Even this is getting harder to find now, but luckily my local ACE Hardware store carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Scott View Post
    I can't help you on where to find it, but will offer my favorite alternative - Minwax Antique Oil (in the red can). Even this is getting harder to find now, but luckily my local ACE Hardware store carries it.

Thanks Tom,
    If I can't find the Deft, i'll give Minwax a try.

Danish oil is nothing more than; approximately equal amounts of: mineral spirits (paint thinner), varnish and boiled linseed oil.

You can make your own very easily; you actually end up with a less expensive product that works better.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott! I've read Dresdner's and Flexner's books on finishing but have never mixed up my own....... too lazy, I guess. This may be the time.