Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your dog eat Beneful made by Purina?

Does your dog eat Beneful made by Purina?

There is a class action lawsuit against Nestle for this food as many dogs have died. I hope nobody here has a sick dog because of this. Maybe choose another brand until this gets settled.

You can google this for further research but here are a couple of links:

http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-s...s-action-says/

http://www.seattledogspot.com/dog-he...-killing-dogs/

Take Care...
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Thanks for the warning. Thankfully not us.

Recently I was researching new food for our lab and came across dogfoodadvisor.com. They alert to recalls and provide info and ranking for all dog foods. It's worth checking out and reading what they have to say about whatever food you are serving.

Doug

My dogs are on Blue.
    I used to use the Purina line, but in my opinion they got a little sketchy about 10 years ago. It's too bad, because I really liked the Purina Hi-Pro line.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I am shaken. I have been using Beneful for some years now and always felt I was giving my dogs a quality food, something better than the run of the mill Alpo or regular Purina. To the supermarket tomorrow to get something else. Recommendations?

Ken

My daughter has a golden retriever and has used Blue Buffalo for years. It was recommended by her vet. She uses only the duck because her dog is sensitive to others. I think Blue Mountain is a high quality food and you cannot go wrong with it. I am sure there are other premium brands but we have only cats and a parrot so we have not done a lot of research on dog food.

Maybe others can recommend another brand.

Good Luck finding one for your pet.

Take Care
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 02-24-2015 at 4:49 PM. Reason: correction on brand
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Our dogs are on Wellness Core.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

My dog has eaten Beneful for 14 years. She has had infected anal sacs several times in the past couple years, so the vet suggested we switch to a non-grain food. No recent infections, but she is still 14.

It is an popular brand; I bet all popular brands have 3000 complaints. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 02-23-2015 at 10:21 PM.

I was feeding Beneful to my two small dogs years back when they had the China additive problems. Almost lost both dogs to it. I quit feeding them Beneful from then on. I thought I was buying quality food at the time.

We have a joke going with my daughter every time we take care of her dogs we tell her they love Beneful. She is on many dog forums and they all say Beneful is one of the worst foods out there. We actually feed them the food she brings and eggs hot dogs and ground beef. They eat better than me when they're here. Maybe that is why they hate to go home

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    To the supermarket tomorrow to get something else. Recommendations?

Ken
    I think you touched on something in your statement. I have never found quality pet foods at a supermarket. Here is a link to a site that rates different dog foods. I feed my Labrador Nutrisource Grain Free. He is healthy as an ox!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-d...dry-dog-foods/

We switched our gaggle of long dogs to Science Diet years ago from Beneful and they noticeably became healthier. I wish Science Diet wasn't so blasted expensive, but it's worth it to me.

My dog is on Purina One Lamb and Rice, which gets two stars at that site.

But I looked at some of the user comments on foods with five-star ratings, and see complaints of dogs tossing their cookies and other digestive problems. This leaves me a little bit skeptical of the premium foods.

Not sure what the answer is, but my fella's health seems okay so I'm sticking with what I know.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 02-24-2015 at 9:12 AM.

Purina has several different formulas. I am not sure how it relates to Beneful, but if accurate, it appears many competitive dog owners trust the Purina brand.

According to their website, from the just completed championships:
    "Miss P is the ninth Best In Show champion in a row to be fed PurinaŽ Pro PlanŽ.... In fact, 94 of the top 100 all-breed show dogs in the country last year were fed PurinaŽ Pro PlanŽ. This year, 7 of the 7 group winners were dogs who eat PurinaŽ Pro PlanŽ"

I spent some time reading some articles on the internet last night, and this morning I took my dog in for a follow-up on his ACL surgery and had a chance to talk to my vet.

My take - Beneful, as the ingredients say, has a higher grain content, and some dogs are sensitive. If your dog is sensitive to grains then you need to be looking for a food with no grains. If your dog is not, then Beneful seems to be as safe as any other.

My vet prefers a food with more protein. Beneful is not the brand he recommends. But he said he would not "not recommend" it unless the dog had sensitivity issues. Then he wouldn't recommend any of the foods with high grain content.

But the articles do point out a couple of things. Anyone can file a lawsuit. And anyone can file a report in Consumer Affairs.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 02-24-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Phil, that's exactly what we were using. Our vet suggested some issues our lab was having were related to the food. You will also notice in the comments, suggestions by others that those who are having issues switching read up on how to switch dog food. If it's done "cold turkey" it can result in throwing up and diarrhea. Over the past two or three weeks we have been switching our lab to "Taste of the Wild" Hi Prairie formula dry. So far we like it and so does she. Issues (allergy type) have faded too.
    Last edited by Doug Ladendorf; 02-24-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Currently feeding Earthborn, and have been for a good while now. We switch every once in a while. Last was Taste of the Wild, and before that Blue Buffalo. They've done well on all of those.