Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you Hoard anything

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I don't hoard anything. noun a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: verb (used with object)2.to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place

Having a hundred or more planes is actually a form of efficiency; it is not hoarding. You have different lengths for different purposes, different widths, different grinds on the iron, etc. I think if you calculated it carefully you would need about 500 for maximum efficiency.

Me thinks you are just in denial!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

12 x 12" and 10 x 15" sheets of 1/8 and 1/4" Baltic Birch, I've got piles of partially cut out sheets. If I cut a 9x9" piece out of a 12 x 12 sheet the left over goes in the pile maybe some day I'll need some small cut out of something
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My wife hoards medicine. When she refills a prescription she will start using the new container and set the old one with 1 or 2 pills aside. She once had 18 bottles for the same medicine, all with one or 2 pills in them. When I asked why she didn't add the old ones to the new bottle, she just got angry. Beats the heck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    ... she just got angry. Beats the heck out of me.
    Sounds painful!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Any sheet not complete goes in the shredder then the pellet press

cheers

Dave

ps: do I hoard anything...hummmm Cats...I have 22 of those
    You did what !

22 Cats holy smoke Dave no wonder you needed a stone castle ( maybe you should have bought a farm LOL ) I thought my girlfriend was bad, she had 6 cats, 8 snakes, 3 ferrets and a dog.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have hardware that I'll probably never use. I'm sure that as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it! But that is pretty normal my real issue is boxes. I have boxes in pristine condition for tools that dies a long time ago. Same with household appliances. I save them at first in case it needs to be returned; but time goes by and I replace the item after it dies and put the new box away only to find the other 3 right where I left them! Please don't send A&E, just call me a dumpster!

Pencils. I lost my good drafting pencil to a kid once, and bought a replacement at a art store for stupid money. Found that you can buy a gross on ebay for about the same price as the one replacement, so I started the collection. It now fills two drawers, contains all kinds of great old drafting pencils from the drafting by hand age.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Pencils. I lost my good drafting pencil to a kid once, and bought a replacement at a art store for stupid money. Found that you can buy a gross on ebay for about the same price as the one replacement, so I started the collection. It now fills two drawers, contains all kinds of great old drafting pencils from the drafting by hand age.
    Steve, Do you have any experience with the old motorized drafting desks? I use one every day. I am a gunstock maker and I am using it for a checkering bench. It is starting to get a little finicky and I worry that the motor or switch is giving up. Since checkering is a tedious process I adjust the desk up and down every 20 minutes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    Steve, Do you have any experience with the old motorized drafting desks? I use one every day. I am a gunstock maker and I am using it for a checkering bench. It is starting to get a little finicky and I worry that the motor or switch is giving up. Since checkering is a tedious process I adjust the desk up and down every 20 minutes easy.
    I don't, I've seen ones that raise with a hand wheel, along with the tilt, but none with the electric one. Who makes yours? I'd love to see a pic. A good table is on my bucket list someday. I currently use a ten minute slap together. Looks pretty bad with the nice old Vemco light and drafting machine attached.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. I thought I could send a picture in a PM.

Here it is. It is made by Hamilton Industries.

One of my checkering cradles is hanging on it. That is pretty much how I use it. The drafting machine is great because it allows me to move the light where ever I need it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats very clever Doug, thanks for the pic. I couldn't wrap my head around how it would work for a checkering bench, but I get it now!

My wife insinuates I have a tool hoarding behavior, but no one else in SMC will have that habit.

I'm the antithesis of a hoarder. I have cleaner's disease.

I tried holding onto a busted sander and managed for about 6 months. I noticed it sitting on the shelf one too many times and asked, "Eh, why am I holding onto that?" 3 days after tossing it, the working sander, same model, broke a screw that holds the orbital pad to the bull gear. Since my replacement screw was in the now thrown away sander I went online to order one. It's discontinued. Go figure. How can a SCREW be discontinued. Out of a list of 50 parts for this sander the screw I needed was the ONLY one discontinued. It made me laugh.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I'm the antithesis of a hoarder. I have cleaner's disease.

I tried holding onto a busted sander and managed for about 6 months. I noticed it sitting on the shelf one too many times and asked, "Eh, why am I holding onto that?" 3 days after tossing it, the working sander, same model, broke a screw that holds the orbital pad to the bull gear. Since my replacement screw was in the now thrown away sander I went online to order one. It's discontinued. Go figure. How can a SCREW be discontinued. Out of a list of 50 parts for this sander the screw I needed was the ONLY one discontinued. It made me laugh.
    Thanks Justin. You helped me resist the urge to toss my busted sanders(and justify my hoarding).
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford