View Poll Results: Which of these brands do you most recommend for a 15" planer?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grizzly

46 45.10%
  • Shop Fox

0 0%
  • Powermatic

44 43.14%
  • Jet

8 7.84%
  • General International

7 6.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15" Planer - General International, Grizzly, Powermatic, Jet, Shop Fox

15" Planer - General International, Grizzly, Powermatic, Jet, Shop Fox

I recently bought an 8" Grizzly G0656P and I'm not extremely impressed with the build quality. However, I think that is simply due to what appears to be a sloppy casting - the machine work done on the surfaces is very accurate. A lot of paint chipped off and the iron underneath was somewhat rusted.

Anyways, this is not a Grizzly 8" Jointer review - it just puts Grizzly near the bottom of the pecking order for me when choosing this planer.

I don't know the EXACT difference between the follow three: Grizzly, Grizzly Polar Bear, Shop Fox. I know all three of them are from the same reseller (Grizzly) but as far as details are concerned (which factory, which batch of parts, which QA process, etc) it seems nobody REALLY knows. I've been to China and been in the factories for business and know that typically dozens of products come from the same manufacturer - depending on who slaps their logo on it decides who gets the high end parts and a careful eye on detail when assembling.

All that aside since we'll never know unless some reps come on here and spill the beans, would you all be so kind as to cast a vote for your favorite and share any details or experiences you have with comparisons. I have only owned Jet and Grizzly. I am currently leaning towards General International as their website has highlighted all of my manufacturing concerns.

Here we have the candidates:

General International 30-125HCM1 3 HP 15-Inch Planer with Helical Cutterhead - $2,936.40
    http://www.amazon.com/General-International-30-125HCM1-15-Inch-Cutterhead/dp/B002KHNM56

Shop Fox W1742S 15-inch Planer With Spiral Cutterhead - $2,438.94
    http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1742S-15-inch-Cutterhead/dp/B001OOHAOA

Jet - JWP-15HH: 15-inch Helical Head Planer - $2,754.99
    http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JWP-15HH-15-inch-Helical-Planer/dp/B0011TEFZK

Powermatic 1791213 15HH 3 HP 15-Inch Planer with 230-Volt 1 Phase Byrd Shelix Helical Cutterhead - $3,079.97
    http://www.amazon.com/Powermatic-1791213-15HH-230-Volt-Cutterhead/dp/B001GOEPF0

Grizzly G0453PX Planer with Spiral Cutterhead Polar Bear Series, 15-Inch - $1,849.13
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G0453PX-Planer-Cutterhead-15-Inch/dp/B003TNF87K
    Last edited by Ken Garland; 05-11-2014 at 10:34 PM.

I could only recommend the GO453px, because I have one. And I like it fine. The planer was on the Grizzly sale catalog I received, is it over? Was thinking it was 1695. Saw a post where someone had a Grizzly planer, and it was out of adjustment, so he sold it and bought a Powermatic. Had to laugh, pretty expensive adjusting.

Not a chance.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    I'll pass also
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

I suggest comparing again, the amount of cutters on the heads, the warranties, for the price between the General 2yr, jet 5yr and Powernatic 5yr, I would choose the Powermatic. (your sure to get a byrd head, shearing cut, which would be best on figured woods in my opinion). If on a budget a Grizzly straight knife machine and installing a Byrd head would be around 2000. Then again if you were able to purchase a used planer and put in a byrd head then more would be saved. So on one end Powermatic, the other used and install a byrd head. Simple right? (Ha, Ha). Most parts are interchangeable, there are some differences, usually in the gearbox (seals/gaskets). I picked up a used Jet, put in a Bryd head from Holbren, then put in rubber coated infeed and outfeed rollers (Delta 15" rubber coated outfeed rollers are interchange able in both positions). Very happy with the results and the whole project was under 2000.00

Blog Entries
    I voted with the one I decided on so I don't know that it is a recommendation as much as a testimonial. The G0453Z is Grizzly's take on the same format that several colors of paint use. They all have the same awkward gearbox fill/check point but, you only use this about every year after the initial 20 hour break in period. Like several others it uses steel serrated feed rollers but, these are designed to be adjusted to your stock type and I set mine very light as I normally use only semi-rough stock. Factory default is for rough stock and has quite a grip. The dual feed rate is a plus and I added a DRO which works very well for me. Dust collection is quite good with my 2HP cyclone about 25 feet of 6" pipe (reduced to 4" at the machine) away.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,
    On my Jet 15" planer, I was having problems no matter how "little" presure was set on the infeed rollers. when taking that final clean up cut to assure all the boards in a project were the same thickness, there always was some sort of inprint from the infeed. I purchased the rubber coated outfeed rollers that are in the delta 15" planer... i got them from sears parts..they were the cheapest at the time. ( now I think Steel City is the cheapest). anyway I swaped them in the outfeed and the infeed positions. No more inpressions, no more worries. they grab the wood better than the original serrated roller wet or dry, rough of smooth. no adjusting. We have done this on several 15" planers and have recently purchased a used 20" Powermatic planer and will try to hunt down rubber coated rollers for that. It is a worthy upgrade, along with the bryd head it should be standard equipment or at least an option from these companies.

If you are willing to spend $3100 for the powermatic, I would consider the Grizzly 20" planer G1033X for $3200. I bought mine through amazon seven years ago. The only maintenance I've done with it is change oil. The serrated rollers leave marks if you take a cut of 15 thou. or less. This has not been a problem for me.

MK

I voted for the one with a history of: 0 mechanical issues, 0 Customer Service issues, and perfect fit and finish straight out of the factory since the company was founded.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I voted for the one with a history of: 0 mechanical issues, 0 Customer Service issues, and perfect fit and finish straight out of the factory since the company was founded.
    You must've also voted the same way in the last 6 or so federal elections?

Blog Entries
    Well, I voted for what I have, a Powermatic 15HH.

I got in November/2009 during one of their 15% off sales. I think the pricing on it was about $2,000 at the time. I've been very happy with it.

My shop is about half Delta and half Powermatic. It just kind of turned out that way more so than I planned it that way.

I'd be open minded to a tool coming from Grizzly. I'd buy from Powermatic and Jet again too. I think I'm done with Delta, really hate to say that but it's true.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Glenn,
    On my Jet 15" planer, I was having problems no matter how "little" presure was set on the infeed rollers. when taking that final clean up cut to assure all the boards in a project were the same thickness, there always was some sort of inprint from the infeed. I purchased the rubber coated outfeed rollers that are in the delta 15" planer... i got them from sears parts..they were the cheapest at the time. ( now I think Steel City is the cheapest). anyway I swaped them in the outfeed and the infeed positions. No more inpressions, no more worries. they grab the wood better than the original serrated roller wet or dry, rough of smooth. no adjusting. We have done this on several 15" planers and have recently purchased a used 20" Powermatic planer and will try to hunt down rubber coated rollers for that. It is a worthy upgrade, along with the bryd head it should be standard equipment or at least an option from these companies.
    Think it is worth trying rubber spray? I have a few cans of it that I've used for different projects and it might work well for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Which one is that? The votes don't attach names to it so I have no idea which one you picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garland View Post
    Which one is that? The votes don't attach names to it so I have no idea which one you picked.
    Ken,
    It's none of them. I thought the wink would have given it away... I wrote some other stuff but deleted because in the end it doesn't really matter. Buy whatever color you like and come back here and defend your choice because everybody will not agree with you.

My vote is for none. Since these 4 post planers have basically been the same for 30 years except for maybe the CI outfeed and infeed tables in some, buy a nice used one for 6-700 and install a Byrd head in it or buy a drum sander.