Thread: cutting hardwood counter top

cutting hardwood counter top

I am wondering best way to cut hardwood counter top. I know could use circular saw but track saw time?

Eugene
    I used a circular saw with a fence then clean up with a router. Tom

sliding table saw, track saw or circular saw with some sort of fence/guide. if you have a circular saw you like and want to get a track saw eureka zone sells kits to make your saw into track saw.

Any properly set up circular saw against a straight edge would do fine. That being said, I would certainly reach for my tracksaw knowing that accuracy and a clean cut were pretty much fool proof.

Making a scoring cut (1/8" deep or less) before your main circular saw cut with any of the above methods will help cut quality. Good reason to have a quality cut guide, but don't buy a track saw just for this.

I know could use circular saw but track saw time?
    That's entirely up to you as far as how much use you'll get out of one vs the cost.
    Depending on how much $$, time and effort you have involved in this project, a top shelf track saw like a Festool, DeWalt or Makita (or Eureka zone) might be in order.

I know if it were me, I'd just grab my Festool TS55EQ, clamp the rail on and cut away - no muss, no fuss and little to no concern over the accuracy or quality of the cut.

Most important though - it would turn what appears to be a show stopper of a situation for the moment, into something so mundane it's of no concern.

One thing I can tell you about having a track saw.
    I've lost track of the number of times someone has posted a question about how to make some sort of cut and the answer is to use a track saw.
    What I'm getting at is that, once you have one, you keep finding uses for it.

A good track saw isn't just something you use to break down sheet goods.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A track saw is a guide and you can make one of those. I have used both systems extensively and see very little difference except for very long lengths.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I rough cut to length with a track saw & then use a router with a straight edge

+1 on Rich & Johnny