Thread: DeWalt planer floor model

DeWalt planer floor model

so after all the research, including on Sawmill Creek, i have decided to upgrade to the DeWalt 735. Rockler has the 735x with the extra blades and extension tables, plus the DW trim router. My local store only has a floor model, but they tell me that it has not even been turned on, so they are not wiling to knock any $ off the price. The staff and owner are honest folks so i take them at their word, and they are willing to order a box new if i want. So for the crew here, would you take the floor model or would you have them order a new in box unit ?
    Thanks.

Todd

If they are not knocking anything off the cost then have them order you a new one in the box.

I'd have them order a new one, too.

Ditto, box new. Simply lower risk for you. The fact that it's never been turned on means they have no clue if some kid stuck some pennies up into it, or they've lost the thingamajig, or some mook's inadvertently spilled Sprite hasn't wicked into the innards. While I have no doubt that they'd take care of any of these problems should they arise, you'd still be incurring the hassle.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Did you consider just waiting to buy a 15" Grizzly or similar planer. Lunchbox planers are screamers.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Is the "local store" the Rockler store? Are there any price differences between the new and floor model? If not, why would you NOT get one in the box?