Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flush Triming Edgebanding on Router Table

Flush Triming Edgebanding on Router Table

Can you use a flush trim bit in the router table to flush trim some edge banding (not the iron on type) on a shelf? I know I will have to run the shelf vertical. Would I need an offset fence to do this or just flush the fence to the bearing run the shelves?

Thanks

George.

If you do not use a high fence, or a thick edge band, then you will have a devil of a time keeping it righted.

Personally, I would use a hand router and use a jig (or gang multiple shelves together on edge) to make a wide enough platform so your router's not tippy canoe and tyler too.

i have used a bottom bearing bit rather than a fence to trim solid edging on 3/4 ply doors/drawer fronts. edging was about 1" wide to start, the widest/tallest door was somewhere around 23". works well for me, just take it slow to avoid tipping.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

I just used this technique and it worked great. Do a few practice trims first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB-POouy5mk

I also built the jig to hold my carcass panels (like in video), and it worked great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I just used this technique and it worked great. Do a few practice trims first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB-POouy5mk

I also built the jig to hold my carcass panels (like in video), and it worked great!!
    First, I believe the OP is asking about trimming real wood (thick) edging, not ironed-on thin veneer.

BUT, I finally got around to trying that method you posted after seeing the video a few times. It really didn't work that great. The blade wants to follow the grain of the veneer and tear it out.

I believe the stuff he is trimming in the video is plastic or vinyl, not real wood veneer.

I just trimmed about 100 LF of 1/2" thick edge banding on 3/4" ply. I tried using a RT with a tall fence and it sounds great but most plywood isn't completely flat I quickly realized.
    I ended up using a flush trim bit in a trim router and it worked like a charm. It's pretty easy to balance a trim router on the edge of a piece of 3/4" ply.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    This system works so well. I've been trimming shelves and 8' long side panels for months with it. Easy to use can't mess up your wood. The cut leaves it ready for 220 sanding. No clamps required. Runs over dado slots. Which is a problem with a bit and bearing.

It took about two hours to put it together. Mines made from Corian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    First, I believe the OP is asking about trimming real wood (thick) edging, not ironed-on thin veneer.

BUT, I finally got around to trying that method you posted after seeing the video a few times. It really didn't work that great. The blade wants to follow the grain of the veneer and tear it out.

I believe the stuff he is trimming in the video is plastic or vinyl, not real wood veneer.
    Sorry about that. I had no problem once I figured out how to guide the blade.

I used to do as you are suggesting, tall fence, bottom bearing flush trim bit. I have switched to a scraper plane and card scraper if needed. I found I can clean things up as quick or quicker than using the router.

-Alden

I own a Festool Router. I also own

Angle Arm - 486052
    Edging Plate - 486058

festool_router_trim.jpg

I have done this a couple of times. The first time, it was to trim the hard wood edging on a router table that I built.

I do it like this:

IMG_0122.JPG

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I use a lipping planer now so I gave away my "one touch point" fence I made. I did this very quick sketch to show it; the only critical element is that the bit and fence be the same diameter/ thickness and radius. It doesn't matter if there's a slight cup or bow to the stock as it's only touching at one point. I drew in a flush cutting bearing bit, but any bit works; an upcutting spiral bit worked best for me.
    Sketch of one point fence.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Can you use a flush trim bit in the router table to flush trim some edge banding (not the iron on type) on a shelf? I know I will have to run the shelf vertical. Would I need an offset fence to do this or just flush the fence to the bearing run the shelves?

Thanks

George.
    Explain "edge banding (not the iron on type)". Hardwood, glue on, etc. Just trying to learn other techniques myself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesmith View Post
    I do it like this:

IMG_0122.JPG
    This is a great technique! Don't ask how I tried to do it on the router and failed. This made the light bulb come on. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Explain "edge banding (not the iron on type)". Hardwood, glue on, etc. Just trying to learn other techniques myself.

Thanks
    Yes gluing hardwood oak to the edge of oak ply.