Thread: Greenlee 227 Automatic Mortising Machine

Greenlee 227 Automatic Mortising Machine

Is anyone here knowledgeable about this machine? Can a 5hp VFD be used to power this? Are there any manuals or good reference sites online? Thanks.

There will be a few over at owwm.org. Greenlee literature might be at owwm.com ( vintagemachinery.org). Greenlee made great machines. Heaviest castings. I'm guessing a 4 hp motor. My 356 borer had a manual starter. It is run with a vfd and I just leave the starter on and operate through the vfd controls. The vfd output needs to match the motor load so if you are converting from single phase the vfd needs to be sized accordingly so the output amperage is about 12. The auto mortiser might have a different motor. I've never seen one in the flesh but Greenlee made a fair number. Also check the Dana Batory collection of manuals. there is a link on the vintagemachinery knowledge base. You can order a manual if he has it for 10-20. Dave

Pat
    Try OWWM for manuals, we need more info from you, motor size for one. Good luck on your find, and is this a picture of your mortiser. http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=403&tab=3 Tom

Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 05-16-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Tom, that is sweet. What size is the bottom motor? Patrick, a vfd can not run both motors although I believe you can disable the auto feed. DAve

Yep, that's it. It has two motors. The feed motor dataplate is illegible. The main motor is 4hp but says 2 phase....what in the world does that mean? I know about standard single phase and 3 phase - and using Vfd's to convert it - but i have no idea how to power this ancient machine (1927 I think). I already regret buying this thing...anyone want a project??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Tom, that is sweet. What size is the bottom motor? Patrick, a vfd can not run both motors although I believe you can disable the auto feed. DAve
    Forgive my ignorance, but I want to understand. I know you can't switch multiple loads on/off while using a vfd, but I thought on the mortiser both motors ran continuously - always at the same time - and a clutch actuated the auto-feed...why would you not be able to use a vfd in that situation? I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Maloney View Post
    Yep, that's it. It has two motors. The feed motor dataplate is illegible. The main motor is 4hp but says 2 phase....what in the world does that mean? I know about standard single phase and 3 phase - and using Vfd's to convert it - but i have no idea how to power this ancient machine (1927 I think). I already regret buying this thing...anyone want a project??? LOL
    I think you would have no problem selling it. Those are supposed to be top notch mortisers. I'm interested to hear the answers here.

Whether you can operate both motors off the same vfd is above my pay grade. I'm skeptical but have no good reason for being so. Two phase is another issue. There used to be two phase electricity and some old motors were designated as such. The owwm guys have addressed that so you might want to check the electrical forum there. My guess is the motor might need rewiring. Don't give up on the machine though. Greenlee stuff is a pleasure to use and that long 4 hp motor will go through anything even if slowed down.

Note to old machine buyers. Look for 200v or two phase motors as they should lower the price of the machine. Dave