Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening a kreg drill?

Sharpening a kreg drill?

A few years ago I had Kreg sharpen my drill for about a third the price of a new one. Now I have two that are in need, but there is nothing about it on their website.

Know of anyone who sharpens them?

Get Leonard Lee's book on sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    That seems to say that we pay for shipping each way and they do it for free! Can't beat that; if it means what it says. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    That seems to say that we pay for shipping each way and they do it for free! Can't beat that; if it means what it says. Thanks.
    I think its only the shipping to them. It reads to me that they'll pay to ship it back to you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    I think its only the shipping to them. It reads to me that they'll pay to ship it back to you.....
    Simply send your Kreg Pocket-Hole Drill Bit(s) to us through the mail, and you will only pay for the return shipping fees.

Looks like you pay shipping both ways and they sharpen for free.
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

I sent an email to CS asking for details. Will post the answer once they get back to me

I'm curious to know if this is correct, I have not actually had any sharpened, I have a few that are tired or retired, I look forward to hearing how this works out.

I'm curious to know what return shipping fees are. Used to be six bucks a bit to have then sharpened, plus return shipping. I go to Lowes, and buy the little pocket hole jig for less than$20 which has new bit, collar and as a bonus a single hole pocket screw jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Peter, thanks for the link. I didn't know there was a Kreg community.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You can purchase a new Kreg HSS step drill on Amazon for 15 dollars. I guess it would be a few dollars less to pay for return shipping to Kreg for sharpening and free return shipping, although you'd have to consider the time and effort to get the worn drill packaged and shipped.

Thanks for posting. I'm planning a large cabinet project and this served as a reminder that I need to replace or sharpen my dull step drill. I'll probably buy a new one and return the dull one for sharpening just to see how that process works out.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

12. I had mine done last month at Kreg. Mailed it to them with a check for $4 and got it back in about a week.

Here is the reply I received from Kreg this morning.

Hello Mark,
    Happy to help. You just need to send those to 201 Campus Dr., ATTN: Drill Bit Sharpening, Huxley, IA 50124, and include a return address and a check or money order. We charge $4 for the first bit and $2 for each additional bit and we cover return shipping. Have a good day!
    Ben Bolluyt
    Kreg Tech Support

2 bits sharpened for 6 bucks total....that's pretty cheap. I guess postage to them wouldn't be much if shipped USPS in a padded envelope...maybe a couple bucks?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    2 bits sharpened for 6 bucks total....that's pretty cheap. I guess postage to them wouldn't be much if shipped USPS in a padded envelope...maybe a couple bucks?
    I just sent two out to them for $2.85. $9 for 2 is cheap enough.