Thread: Warping on Rowmark Textures Exterior?

Warping on Rowmark Textures Exterior?

This is the first time I have used Rowmark 'Textures Exterior' and am having it warp as I laser engrave it.
    I have never had problems with Rowmark materials before and wondered whether this is a common problem or whether I am hitting it a bit too hard. I did find it difficult to get through, I normally use 20 P and 320 S on my 60W machine,at a scan gap of 0.085 however I had to go up to 45 P to get through the surface of this product. No matter whether the sign being engraved was small or larger it still warped and would not stay down with two way tape on the back.
    Appreciate your comments.
    Kind regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

John

Textures is best engraved with a rotary machine due to the thickness of the cap. If i were doing it on the laser I would take two or more passes to avoid the warping.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    John

Textures is best engraved with a rotary machine due to the thickness of the cap. If i were doing it on the laser I would take two or more passes to avoid the warping.
    Thanks Mike, I was wondering wether I had caused the problem. Expensive mistake!
    kind regards, John
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

John,

This is Phil Noakes with Rowmark. We concure with Mike's suggestions. We would also suggest bottom up lasering for Textures.

Thanks for using Rowmark products. Please contact our Technical Help any time we can assist.

Regards,

Phil
    Rowmark
    Director of North American Sales & Customer Service

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. Please would you clarify what you mean by “bottom up” lasering on Textures.
    Kind Regards, John

You start the engraving from the bottom up , mostly to avoid "staining" the already engraved sections by the vapour released when engraving
    Ostensibly , vacuum will pull fumes from the front of the cabinet to the back , thus the vapours will only travel over unengraved sections and wont transfer stains or heat into the already thin engraved bits
    Last edited by Rodne Gold; 05-20-2014 at 7:43 AM.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

John - Laser from bottom to top. By default most lasers go from the 0/0 position down, but can be set to bottom up in the driver.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Rodney and Tim, Thanks for clarifying that. That makes perfect sense and my machines are pre-set to do this. Why I did not understand what Phil meant can only be due to my being a bit on the ’thick’ (dim) side
    Rastering this twice will certainly tie laser machines up but it seems like a good product.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Kind Regards, John

Reviving this old thread for a material update:

I have just used Trotec’s own brand TroLase Textures for the first time and decided to give it a test on the laser instead of taking it straight to the router as usual.

I gave it two passes, blasting it with compressed air after the first pass. Needless to say I will probably use the laser for smaller signs on this material from now onwards. So far, this material is more user friendly, not sure of longevity etc though. The test sign in the image is 17” X 2.5”:
    IMG_0293.jpg

Kind Regards,
    John