Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bin for cyclone

Bin for cyclone

Finally got my clearvue hung and I have 34" from floor to bottom of cyclone. This is more than I was thinking that I was going to have. I was looking at the round fiber bins on Penn States website and u saw that the had a double version and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. I'm concerned that a single bin may just fill up too quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

Bob, it's just going to depend on your situation... are you a one man shop, or multi? Also what tool are you all collecting from? A planner,or joiner is going to fill your bin up faster than a sander will. I have a 55 gal drum on my cyclone and I find it works quite well... I check it at the end of the day, and more frequently when I know it's getting close, or I'm planing a lot. You still have to dump it all one way or another, whether 2 or 1 drums ;-) but you also don't want to be making multiple trips a day to empty the drum out....
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

You also might consider making your own bin -- whatever plywood you have in the scrap pile. You get to make the bin exactly the height you want. You also can put a plastic window in the side of the bin so you can see when it is getting to be time to empty it. You also get away from paying more in shipping charges than the cost of the drum.

All good points. Shipping is not bad $12

any idea how heavy each of these will be when full?
    Bob C

Seems like a pricey solution. The $105 price plus $12 shipping does not include the drums. Pricing is only for the required fittings to be attached to your own drums..

That said, I do have the 35 gallon Penn State fiber drum (used with a Clearvue 6" duct) and I am pleased with it. The current price is $40 plus $18 shipping

Ah. I thought included the two drums.
    Bob C

That thing also seems to chew up quite a bit of height that could otherwise be used for a bin.

I got a free 55gal plastic bin from a car wash for my fines/filter bag on my 5hp delta cyclone. Seek out a free barrel at a local car wash and cut it to the height you need. A flush trim bit in a router makes short work of the the top
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I picked up a 55 gal locking lid plastic barrel (had Worchestershire sauce in it earlier) that I cut down and added a clear window on side. The barrel had a couple of enlarged rings that just fit the normal OD and I added some screws and sealed with caulk. The "Y" splitter to use 2 small drums will eat up your height very fast, and a larger diameter drum helps the fines to settle better IMO.

Mike

im having trouble visualizing this. Isn't the top of those molded as part of the sides? I'm having trouble seeing how u would cut it to size. Also how do you guys connect the 6" flex to the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I got a free 55gal plastic bin from a car wash for my fines/filter bag on my 5hp delta cyclone. Seek out a free barrel at a local car wash and cut it to the height you need. A flush trim bit in a router makes short work of the the top
    Bob C

A local machine shop provided free 30 gallon fiber drums. I took several with the idea that I could swap out a full drum without having to go dump the first full drum - I have only ever used one. A 42 gallon contractor bags fit perfectly into one of these drums, but though I have toyed with the idea of using one, I don't, and that's because I am composting the shavings/dust, and just dump from the drum.

Just like everything else, the drums are either too small or too big depending on your perspective at the time. They do seem to fill up too fast (too small) and if I'm doing a lot of jointing or planing - which produces low-density shavings - I sometimes empty twice a day in my one person shop. When I go to empty they are just a tad on the heavy side (too large) but the drums fit nicely on a hand truck, and that is typically how I move them out of the shop. They can be "locked in place" on the handcart with a simple cheap shock cord and I've never had one fall off. The dumping then becomes the messiest part. It is when I'm dumping out the shavings that I think "they're must be a better way."

The top flange (on my system) is a simple 7" duct collar mounted with rivets on a metal barrel top. The collar has a Banner 4-wire optical sensor mounted in it to indicate "full" with a 12 volt "siren." The connection to the cyclone is a 7" clear flex which provides a visual backup for full. I can also hear a difference (even with headphones) in the system when the barrel gets close to full. But it is usually after overtopping (it happens so fast) that I remember having heard that difference.

What holds the plastic or metal barrel top to the barrel? A big band clamp?
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    What holds the plastic or metal barrel top to the barrel? A big band clamp?
    Yes, the band clamp ... I have both a metal one and a nylon ... they would work equally well I suppose. I have too much clear flex pipe between the cyclone and container. The pipe acts like a spring making it more difficult to extract the barrel than if there was less pressure. Finding that balance is the trick ... I'm not there yet. A friend has one with shock cords which counter the weight of the lid ... and that ends up holding the lid at exactly the right height to slip the barrel out and back under again. When "unsprung" the clamp doesn't seem to have a good place to set, and seems to be "in the way." If you take this approach and work out a good solution let me know what it is please.

DustBinTop.jpg

14. I just got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working good.

Bob
    How about this only $15.00 for plastic barrel. http://columbia.craigslist.org/for/4459618218.html