Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy

Be advised that epoxy, unlike some other adhesives, requires a sawn or sanded surface on any but the least dense woods for good adhesion. Gougeon Bros.(west system) recommends sanding with 80#.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Be advised that epoxy, unlike some other adhesives, requires a sawn or sanded surface on any but the least dense woods for good adhesion. Gougeon Bros.(west system) recommends sanding with 80#.
    They can also be clamped too dry with ordinary, home workshop clamping pressure. PVAs can theoretically be clamped dry, but typically only under industrial press loads. Epoxy's not the best choice for invisible joints.

I have used West extensively for work ranging from structural repairs on historic buildings to building period outswing garage doors with arched windows. I formed the arch trim by installing short segments and fairing the arch with thickened West epoxy. Next day I just sanded to the arch I preferred. The large mortise and tenons for the garage doors were secured with wetted out West and thickened West to take up any gaps. Finally, I draw bored and pegged the M & T joints after coating the pegs with West. When using thickened West, I mix in clean cottage cheese tubs and spread the thickened mixture out about 1/16" to1/8" thick on a 8" x 12" piece of 1/4" mdf so it doesn't harden too fast in hot weather. West produces an excellent guide. Just google their website. in other exterior work, I have rebuilt wood sills of rotted plate glass windows in retail storefronts and these were done in-place without disturbing the 6' x 8' plate glass windows. I just cut out the rotted areas and replaced whatever odd shape came out with new wood coated with West and set in the void where the rot was. Finally, I coated the entire wood window sill with 2 coats clear West and then painted the sill to protect from UV rays. west also makes small squeeze bottles of a little thicker epoxy that you simply lay out a strip of epoxy and another strip of hardener and mix. Great for very small jobs. Check out their website.
    Last edited by Bob Michaels; 05-18-2014 at 10:53 PM.

I like the West System, in particular there range of fillers.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.