Thread: Question on upgrading a Walker Turner lathe

Question on upgrading a Walker Turner lathe

This should probably be two posts but I thought I'd give it a shot with just one.

I bought this lathe 20 years ago and have used it very sparingly until recently. My children have become interested in turning and so I find we are turning something every weekend. I'm getting tired of using a 3/4" wrench to adjust the tailstock and tool rest. I see newer lathes have ratcheting handles and am wondering if I can do the same with some handles from McMaster Carr. I'm not sure which you guys would suggest.

Here's an example of the lathe.
    10624-A.jpg

I'm debating between these two types of handles. Both are metal but the one on the left is die cast zinc and I'm afraid it won't hold up to the use and vibration seen on a lathe.

I'm looking to put three handles on the lathe. One on the tailstock and two on the steady rest, one to lock it to the bed and the other to lock the rest height. They're all 1/2" x 13 tpi which is convenient.

Second question is I would really like to get a new tool rest. When I bought this lathe it only had a 6" straight rest and most of my turning is +24". I'm looking for suggestions on a good economical 12" tool rest. It's got a 1" shaft which appears to be pretty standard. I'm leaning toward this one from Woodcraft but would like suggestions.

Thanks a bunch in advance. I'm a novice wood turner and am liking the time I've been spending with the kids. Up to this point our shared shop time has been building bird houses.

Wes

Can't answer regarding threaded handles, but SMC member Jeff Nicols makes some mighty fine tool rests. You may want to contact him.

If J.Nicols can't make you one buy a Robust rest you Diffidently don't want that one you showed here.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I'll second the Robust rest, have one... will have more! They are great.

As for threaded handle, you really can,t tell quality from the pictures, but I would lean towards the 2nd one.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 05-18-2014 at 9:29 PM.

most of the handles you see are not "ratcheting" but eccentric locks. the handles you have shown are also not ratcheting. they are more or less two interlocking surfaces that you have to engage and disengage as you use them. they will work but they are easily misused and then the engagement surfaces wear out. The wrench is not a bad way to stay accept for an eccentric lock it is about the lowest profile. the tool rest is another matter though. have a shop make up a bolt of the correct thread for the threads in the too post and thread each face oft he bolt head appropriately with a matching thread for a handle screw the handle into the face that best matches your use when the bolt is tight. You could also buy a cheap wrench and JB weld it in place on your existing height adjusting bolt head.

I have an old lathe like that, but it is a Delta, and it also uses a 3/4" wrench on the banjo and tailstock, the difference is Delta made a special short one. Find them on eBay, they are cast iron and pricey, but if you look long enough you will find one for around $25. I finally acquired 2, one set on the banjo nut, the other on the tailstock nut, about a half turn and I can move them. It will look original, but you have kids, so yours will probably turn up lost. In your case I would drill a hole in the handle and tie it off so that when not being used it drops down.

Another option; Buy two 3/4" wrenches from Harbor Frieght cut them so the handles are short, then drill a hole to tie them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    If J.Nicols can't make you one buy a Robust rest you Diffidently don't want that one you showed here.
    I just looked at his site and he says he is not making the tool rest or steady rest any longer.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Can't go wrong with a Robust !

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I just looked at his site and he says he is not making the tool rest or steady rest any longer.
    That is a shame as Jeff is a wonderful craftsman, but I know he is a busy person with back, arm, and shoulder problems.