Thread: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Sometimes a song gets in my head. I was looking into "Dueling Banjos" and thinking about the movie "Deliverance" that made it popular. Funny, they used the song without permission in the film and got sued for it. Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith won the lawsuit and collected royalties. A friend has an antique player piano that uses the old rolls of music and I heard it play the "Dueling Banjos" song once, really something. "Dueling Banjos" was added to my Favorite Favorites list on Spotify this morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Sometimes a song gets in my head. [snip].
    Yep, and sometimes the song won't quit, at which point it qualifies as an earworm. More likely to happen with catchy songs with words, though. It can be pleasant...for awhile. I heard the term for the first time last year, and looked it up. There are actually suggested remedies online.

David

Interesting that in the movie, the 'Dueling Banjos' consisted of a banjo and a guitar....

The original Aurthur Smith/Don Reno recording was done with twin banjos.

from Wiki... "Smith recorded it playing a four-string plectrum banjo and accompanied by five-string bluegrass banjo player Don Reno".

If you like banjo, Reno is about as good as it gets! JMHO.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 05-19-2014 at 12:10 PM.

A lot of late deafened people like myself complain about earworms. I have a deaf FB friend who constantly mentions a song or lyrics from a song just to see how many of his friends will complain that he started an earworm.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I heard it played with a banjo and a harpsichord!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Now that's a step back in time on memory lane.
    As a young guitar player, still learning to play jazz and fusion, I happened to noodle around with that song one nite at home to warm up my hand.
    My dad, in his usual laconic tone, remarked. "It's about time you played something that normal people could recognize."
    I played Mason William's Classical Gas for him after that, but told him it was Baroque a Nova. he just looked at me and told me to go clean the garage.

I guess dad was no fan of those jazz arpeggio exercises that were tearing my hands apart.

Thanks for the memory Moses. It is and always has been a brilliant piece of music.

There used to be a You Tube video of Roy Clark playing Malaquena. What a guitar player!!!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-19-2014 at 7:34 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The only songs that stick in my head are advertisements for kid swag.
    (The second reason we gave up broadcast TV.)

This pair of Swiss brothers are now carrying the torch for traditional American songs.
    Below is a taste of something new, from my folks neck of the woods...
    http://www.krugerbrothers.com/

Last edited by Jim Matthews; 05-19-2014 at 7:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    There used to be a You Tube video of Roy Clark playing jMalaquena. What a guitar player!!!
    I was at a Roy Clark concert last year, he is still a great and versitle musician, but sadly time has caught up with him and his fingers are not as fast as they used to be. He now has another guitar player that travels with him that is almost as good as he was and can do all the stuff he used to, the most incredible was 'Under the Double Eagle'.. As former 5 chord Strummer, watching him do that piece was always a jaw dropping experience.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

And now for something completely different:

Hayseed Dixie (started out as a bluegrass cover band of AC/DC songs...) The banjo and mandolin players have a famous father named Reno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWl5peI8HY

I thought this was pretty good. Dueling Banjos played by a single person.

http://geekologie.com/2013/03/guy-pl...-on-double.php
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska