Thread: Portable generator for shop power?

Portable generator for shop power?

Hey, guys --

I've been fortunate enough to be in a rental house for the past couple of years with a 60-amp sub panel in the garage, so powering all of my woodworking tools & machines hasn't been a problem. However, my landlord is kicking us out (selling the house), so I need to find another rental house with a garage pretty quickly.

I live in the Los Angeles area, where most houses have "detached" garages with little or no electrical running to them. So, I'm thinking about installing a small panel in the garage and powering it with a portable generator. Some of my machines (jointer, table saw, dust collector) run on 220-volts and I'll likely need to power a window AC unit, too.

Any of you guys power your shops with portable generators? If so, what size did you get? Other than it being noisy and having to constantly refill the gas tank, are there any problems with this type of setup?

- Jason

One major problem....neighbors. If it's loud or smelly and you are in a residential setting I'd expect complaints and grievances filed. Perhaps renting a small shop space in an area appropriate for the task with power might be feasible? There are certainly generators capable of serving your needs, I'm thinking natural gas or propane stink less and are perhaps bit quieter? Check the northern tool site for a few examples....$$$$$

Yeah, neighbors are going to hate you with most portables. Honda, Yamaha, and others make quieter ones but they are big $$$$ and not exactly large units. Even the standby's aren't exactly quiet. Ours is outside the bedroom window and if its open, its loud. Closed its a dull roar. Plus then you need a propane tank or natural gas line and they don't exactly sip fuel.

You would need at least 15kw; maybe more. Between the expense, the noise, and several gallons of gas an hour, it just doesn't seem very practical.

While not exactly "code", what about the possibility of using a heavy duty 220V extension cord (like for use with a 50A welder) wired back to a 50A outlet at the house? Yes, the wire is expensive, but a lot cheaper than a suitable generator.

That should be enough for your tools to run on, although the window A/C might need to be a 110V unit that runs on whatever power is already in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Menendez View Post
    While not exactly "code", what about the possibility of using a heavy duty 220V extension cord (like for use with a 50A welder) wired back to a 50A outlet at the house? Yes, the wire is expensive, but a lot cheaper than a suitable generator.

That should be enough for your tools to run on, although the window A/C might need to be a 110V unit that runs on whatever power is already in the garage?
    That is what I would plan on too. Even if the cord is horrible expensive, it's still going to be cheaper than all but some Harbor Freight knock off. Then there is not continual fueling up, exhaust odor, noise, complaining neighbors...

I have a shed shop that only has 120 volts running out to it so I face a similar problem for my 240 volt machines. Even though I own it, I think it wouldn't be economically feasible to run a whole new underground line to the shed, especially because this shop is temporary. It's a bit sketchy as some suggested, but I'm thinking about installing a nema 6-20 outlet in the garage (what my machines use) and running an extension cord from the garage to the shed. You can buy. Legit extension cord for this, but I may build my own extension cord to save a few bucks.

This might do it.......http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2018_200512018

Then you could buy 3 phase machines, high voltage 440 stuff, it will run the entire neighborhood in the even of a blackout which might earn you points with the neighbors.....you'll need a place to park the diesel oil truck though.....
    Last edited by Peter Quinn; 05-19-2014 at 6:34 PM.

Jason

While I don't use a generator to power the shop, primarily because it would be cost prohibitive, I do like Steve's solution, which by the way would not be a code violation as long as it plugged into receptacle with a breakout box on the garage end.
    I have 2 table saws, 2 bandsaws, a 15" Jet planer, 6" Jointer, 26" Dual drum Sander, and a 1 1/2 HP dust collector. I only have 30 amps to the garage and other than the window AC unit and the shop Vac not being on the same circuit, I haven't had any issues.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Just roll up the cord when not in use, and you should be good to go.

Steve.

Before I put in the 3 phase I did thought about buying a diesel generator set, good thing about genset is that if you ever need to move, you can take it with you, apart from this there is noise, fume, fuel, servicing and initial capital cost. I dont know how much a reliable genset cost in the US but for me, it was cheaper to install the 3 phase

Join a maker space.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I've been in construction for years and generators are the bane of my existence. They're noisy, smelly and often break or just plain refuse to start.

My framing crews sometimes have to work off generators, if I can get a 6.5 Kw Honda(brand, not engine only) I can run a 1-1/2 hp compressor and 2-3 circ saws reliably. If the genny isn't a Honda I need either a 10Kw or a gas compressor and a 6Kw genny to be able to work. Anything else and I'm off to the next job.

The 6.5 Honda will put out 30A@240V, check the amperage of the two largest machines you'll be using at the same time(likely the table saw and dust collector) and see what you come up with. Forget the window A/C, no way you'll power a 3hp dust collector, 3hp table saw and a window unit off a 6.5Kw Honda. A 3hp motor pulls around 13A/240v at full load, 2-3 times that at startup. Two of those running at the same time leaves you only 4A to spare, not enough for an A/C unless it's a mighty small one. And don't even think about starting both machines at the same time, that'll never work.

To sum up, genny not good for your application. Paying electrician to install necessary hardware and paying for good cord is good and cheaper than buying decent genny. Avoiding citations and substantial fines for violating local noise ordinance: priceless.

HTH,
    Bill

Time to dig out the hand tools. The guys that go that way love it!