Thread: Bog Oak Log

Bog Oak Log

For your viewing pleasure some pictures of a Bog Oak log we had at the bandsaw last week.

It did not turn out so well, because it had too many cracks. We wanted to saw it into 4 quarters and then slice veneer from these 4 quarters.
    In the end we could only slice one quarter to veneer, the other quarter and one half was sawn into lumber 60mm and 80mm thick, which will be used for table tops or whatever.

One quarter we sliced at the slicing machine into 0,8mm thick veneers, which where immediately sold to a customer from India.

In the last picture you can see the rest from the quarter which had been sliced to veneer. This is called a backing board. Perfectly quarter sawn, full with flakes (medullary rays).

Luckily I was able to purchase the backing board and will be able to resaw it into guitars back and side sets. bliss

This oak has extremly tight growing rings, about 1mm wide. It was about 650 years old when it fell into the swampland / river and was there laying around for about 4500 years. Lazy bastard....

My plan is to build guitars with bog oak back and sides combined with my 35000 years old ancient Kauri tops.

Cheers, Alex

Wow. Where did this log come from?

To be honest, I do not even know where exactly it came from. For sure from Germany, Donau river. I will check and tell you later. It was for sure expensive

Incredible. How did you determine it had been laying in the bog for 4500 years? also, any inkling as to what caused its demise?

Radiocarbon dating C14 was used for dating the age of the tree. No idea what causes the demise (again a new word learned )

cheers, alex

Out of curiosity, what is the moisture content of a tree that has been in a bog for 4,500 years?

As wet as possible, water dripping, as wet as wet can be... 250%...at least.....

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Dalbergia View Post
    To be honest, I do not even know where exactly it came from. For sure from Germany, Donau river. I will check and tell you later. It was for sure expensive
    The Danube?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Looks kinda like a rift-sawn cut from the Spessart oak logs you can see at the talarico website.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA