Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have wheels on their workbench?

Anyone have wheels on their workbench?

In order to conserve the limited space of my garage shop, I have most tools on mobile bases and shift them around as needed. I'm wondering about doing the same thing with my low-end Sjobergs workbench but I'm afraid casters of any kind will detract significantly from it's already marginal stability due to it's light weight.

Has anyone got their bench on casters? How has it worked out if so?

thanks,

Mitchell

I just bought a set at Home Depot today. In addition to the wheels, I'm installing Lag bolts as leveling feet because my shop is in my garage. In fact every think in my shop will be on leveling feet and or rollers.
    I'll post photographs when my shop is finished, however, I'm waiting on my Gladiator Gear wall system to arrive.

Bruce

If you opt for casters, get the ones that lock both the rotation and the wheel at the same time. Don't know if you can get them at HD or not, but I'm pretty sure you can get them at McMaster-Carr. Everything I've got for the shop has wheels...

How about a different angle...

If you don't plan on having a drawer set in your bench, you may think about having wheels on the end of the bench top......I would place them below the working top. Once you are ready to move the bench, flip it on end and roll it away like moving dolly. This way you have the most stability when you are working on the bench and relative ease of moving it, given it's lightish weight.

Robert

I have done it and am glad I did. I have a small space in a basement and needed everything to be mobile. I planned the height with heavy duty caster wheels (4") to end up being the same as my table saw. That way I could back it up to it and it could double as an outfeed table which it does pretty well. One set of the caster wheels is a swivel set with brake levers on them which works well and keeps the table very stable when set. I was surprised at how well that does work. I think I got the wheels from Lee Valley or Rockler, can't remember. In a real small shop you have to make compromises and that was one I just had to make and am not unhappy I did. I fact, it is one that has had advantages I didn't realize I would have. Now that I have a mobile work bench it gives me some felxability that those with a fixed base workbench might not have! If I'm doing a glueup that requires real long pipe clamps going every which way, I can move my workbench from the wall to the center of the space. If I don't like the lighting where I'm at when finishing a project, I can move it to an area where the lighting is better, etc.

Wheels

Mitchell--

Everything (TS, BS, RAS, assebly table, workbench, 2-ton engine hoist and sheet goods trolley) I have is on casters. The bench I just finished is on 5" swivel casters. I will devise a simple wheel lock by drilling/tapping one cheek of all the casters and installing a large thumb-screw to press on the tire.

Most of the parts came from a borg, but lately I am buying from HF @ 1/4 the price. The bench also has a device from HF that acts as a 5th leg when extended by a pedal. Don't remember the name of it, but it works OK.

A near-future project is to grout all the expansion joints in the 3-car garage and sidewalk where I roll things.

Keep on rollin'

Bill Fields

I have a Sjobergs workbench. I have to agree that it is not the most stable extant. Due to the small size of my work area - part of half a two car garage, everything is on wheels, workbench included. I used the Rockler mobile kit on mine and it is okay (the one where you supply 4 pieces of 2x2 cut to the dimensions of the item). Certainly it does not improve the wobbliness, but it also does not detract much. If you use this kit be certain to use a hardwood 2x2 on the end that has the lifting mechanism for a softwood piece will distort and not work as well - for the other three pieces softwood works fine.

For another workbench, I used four sets of wheels that lock both the wheels and the caster (swivel). Additionally I made four stabilizing mechanisms. I used a captured T-nut and bolt that act on a 1" dowel with a rare earth magnet embedded in one end. This dowel goes in magnet up through a slightly oversized hole, from the underneath the 4x4 base crossmember. At the top of the hole is the captured T-nut. Screwed in from the top, the bolt. This allows the dowel to be lowered and raised from above using a cordless drill with a socket.

When I build a good workbench to replace the Sjobergs unit, I will again use the captured dowel with magnet mechanism. Combined with the locking casters, it is rock solid.

-Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tarr
    If you don't plan on having a drawer set in your bench, you may think about having wheels on the end of the bench top......I would place them below the working top. Once you are ready to move the bench, flip it on end and roll it away like moving dolly. This way you have the most stability when you are working on the bench and relative ease of moving it, given it's lightish weight.

Robert
    I was thinking of doing something similar. The difference is that I was thinking of installing the wheels just above the floor on the sides of two legs, then flipping the bench onto the two wheels when it needs to be moved. I don't know which would work better and would welcome hearing people's experience with either scheme.

I, like a lot of other people here are working in a somewhat limited space. All of my floor machines as well as my work table are on "wheels". Its the only way I could possibly work within the 15 x 20 garage space I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ault

For another workbench, I used four sets of wheels that lock both the wheels and the caster (swivel). Additionally I made four stabilizing mechanisms. I used a captured T-nut and bolt that act on a 1" dowel with a rare earth magnet embedded in one end. This dowel goes in magnet up through a slightly oversized hole, from the underneath the 4x4 base crossmember. At the top of the hole is the captured T-nut. Screwed in from the top, the bolt. This allows the dowel to be lowered and raised from above using a cordless drill with a socket.

When I build a good workbench to replace the Sjobergs unit, I will again use the captured dowel with magnet mechanism. Combined with the locking casters, it is rock solid.

-Andy
    Andy, do you have a pic or two showings this system......??
    THanks !

Two options...
    Norm built a table with fold-away casters a few seasons back. Lift table and casters fell into place. Lift again and pull cord and casters fold up out of the way. See it at http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0207

Second option - Rockler or woodcraft sell casters for Contractor saw legs that have a lever to extend them into mobile mode. Using a wedge to counter the angle designed in for the contractor saw legs will make them work on straight legs.

Mine is a home made bench and I used the Norm concept for casters that fold up. I lift the end of the bench and the casters fall down. When I want the bench stable I lift the end and pull the cord and the casters swing away.

the last pic on page 1 and the first pic on page 2

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/module...bum.php&page=1

George

I built a heavy duty furniture dolly using four 4" 360° swivel casters each rated at 225 pounds.....900 lbs. total rating. Smaller tools can be tilted onto the dolly and moved easily. For a larger item like a bench. one end goes on the dolly and then moved around like a wheel barrow. The 4 casters cost a total of $45 and the remainder was scrap lumber and some carpet for padding. You can get locking 6" casters for about $25(each) and raise your load limit to about 1400 lbs.

Using the dolly isn't quite so handy as having each tool on its own set of wheels; but it is a "LOT" more economical and I prefer the stability of the tools sitting on their own legs and "NOT" on wheels. Mounting four or five sets of wheels on different tools is also a bit of an engineering chore as many tools aren't designed for the easy addition of casters. Having a good furniture dolly around is also handy when the wife decides it is time to rearrange the furniture.....which seems to happen fairly regularly!!!

rolling bench

I have limited space and sometimes when I want to work on bigger projects I need to move my work bench so I put it on large locking casters, here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another Option

Mitchell,
    I find that I use my work bench for all kinds of tasks and it tends to accumulate "stuff" - good stuff mind you, but still, not stuff that I want to clean off when I need woodworking space. So, I built my bench to accomodate a four drawer lateral file which is on a Vega mobile base and is "nested" under the bench. So, when I need more surface, particularly when I need assembly space, I just pull out the file cabinet and move it to where it is needed. And if the workbench top is reasonably free of stuff - it doubles the available space. I happened to have the cabinet, but you can build something quite easily - and in fact, drawers that are not so deep as my file cabinet would be better.

Ray
    PS - I can't seem to up load photo's this morning but you can see a pic of my bench in a post that I started on 6/20/05 entitled "Work bench's first project" - I don't know how to make a link to that but you should be able to find it easily.
    Last edited by Ray Bersch; 06-28-2005 at 7:46 AM.
    Semper Fi