Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm looking at router lifts...

I just added the Wonder Fence.

Waiting for these is going to be painful. With the holiday, this will take forever!

Maybe build your own. I'm thinking about this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNXWQHx4-7U

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Heflin View Post

Too squeaky!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I have the Incra PRL-V2 and really like it. It is great to be able to quickly swap out the magnetic inserts. The PRL-V2 adds a quick adjust to raise the router, but with a slightly less convenient micro adjust mechanism.

Prashun, As I recall, the router locks in by clamping to the sides of the router. You may be able to lower the router and re-clamp instead of building a sled.

Steve
    Ditto on all this. The Incra PRL-V2 is the cat's meow IMO. I love the magnetic inserts. I think most of the router lifts can suffer from tall/short bit syndrome.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

As others have stated the Incra Mast-R-Lift II is made for them by Jessem. I have this lift and I am very happy with it. I got it over the Jessem because of the magnetic throat plates. I much prefer the Incra setup over the Jessem. Just be aware that the Rockler version will lock you into their, or your own custom made, router table, due the the smaller size.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.

Larry
    Since you posted it and brought it up. I built one and would recommend it. It was really an easy build.
    Best aspects for this one.

Doesn't hang from the top.
    Fast bit changes without having to raise the router.
    Adjusts from the top. One turn is 1/16". Micro adjustments are perfect.
    Cost less than $20. Built from scraps on weekend.
    The router drops out quickly if needed.
    Easy access to change bits.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice one Don!

I have a Jessem that is built into their table top. I absolutely love it. Especially the side mounted height adjustment. I never need to move the fence when adjusting the bit. Worth every penny for a lift.
    Jake

Nice one Don!
    Thanks

Don

There are many lifts that can be built that will last a life time. The movement in raising up and down is a very low ware point and IMHO doesn't require a complicated bearing costing hundreds of dollars. Many of if not all the major magazines showcased their version and I took what I thought to be the best of two worlds and combined them.

My lift has 5 surfaces to register and ride against. It only moves in two directions, up and down. The freedom of not hanging on the top is also a reason I built it. This was a major improvement because bits change at the tip of the table. No need to crank it up.

If anyone wants more information for building one I'm only happy to help.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I replaced my Woodpeckers PRL-V2 with the Incra Mast-R-Lift II. I'm much happier with the Mast-R-Lift. Adjusting the Woodpeckers annoyed me too much. It's far easier with the Mast-R-Lift. I also like it with the PC7518, and the magnetic inserts are quite nice.
    I'm curious Alan, what about the Woodpeckers set up was annoying to adjust... leveling the plate, adjusting the bit? I've never seen one in person but it seems like the little thumb wheel would be more convenient for bit adjustments than having to use the handle each time.... Any input would be helpful, I'm on the fence between the Incra and Woodpeckers right now..

Thanks,

Jack

A couple of months ago I bought the Incra branded lift from Rockler. I was aaaaalmost ready to pull the trigger on the Mast-R-Lift II from Incra, but then saw the Rockler ad where theirs was on sale for $80 less. I was a little concerned about the smaller plate size, but I don't have a big router like the 7518. It handles my Bosch 1617 quite well so the smaller plate has not been a problem for me. I am also putting it in a table that I am building for it. I haven't finished the table yet, but it is done enough that has allowed me to use the lift a few times. Sweet.

I talked to an Incra rep about this and there are a couple of differences between the smaller Rockler plate, and the larger Incra. I don't remember the specifics, but one was the way the plate attaches in the corners. It is handled better in the true Incra plate. The Rockler uses "snubbers", one on the top edge and one on the bottom edge, to hold it in place. I managed to fit my plate into my table tightly so I don't have it anchored at all. Besides, the weight should hold it down. There are also two large chamfered holes in opposite corners that are not used on the Rockler plate and are sized for a 5/16" Flat head machine screw. I suppose you could use those to fabricate your own hold-down.

I must add, though, that this is my first lift so I don't have that much experience with lifts. My first router table . . . actually my only other table . . . was a table insert for my Craftsman contractors table saw. It worked, but I wanted something better. Besides, I picked up a PM66 table saw and gave my Craftsman to my son so I gave him my "table" too.

I tried to attach a picture, but I had a little difficulty reducing the image size while still having it big enough to see. Anyway, The insert plate is black, the table top is black, and the fence is black. About the only things that won't be black are the bright magnetic inserts, and the blue Rockler t-track. The case itself is maple.

Wayne