Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Architectural Modeling with a laser

Lynn,

All cut from plywood 1/16 for the top half and 1/8 for the bottom I then painted it to give it a metal look.

Is there a source for the drawings of the Eiffel?? I'd really like to construct something like that.

Thanks
    ~Joe

On the Eiffel Tower's website there are free vector models of the structure available.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

4. Care to post the URL? I looked and couldn't find it, but there are many Eiffel tower websites.

Joe,

I originally purchased the pattern from Wildwood designs. It was a scroll saw pattern for a clock I modified it just to be the tower.

You can check their web site to see if they still have the pattern available.

www.wildwooddesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie
    Joe,

I originally purchased the pattern from Wildwood designs. It was a scroll saw pattern for a clock I modified it just to be the tower.

You can check their web site to see if they still have the pattern available.

www.wildwooddesigns.com
    Got it: http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1593
    But for the life of me, I cannot see where the clock is supposed to go.

Their materials list is calling out pieces 24" long. Does it scale down well enough to cut on a 12"x16" Versalaser?
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 07-05-2005 at 4:10 PM.

Lee,

The original was 37" tall it called for 1/4 and 1/8" woods. If you scale it down 50% you end up with an 18" tower the one pictured. you then use 1/8 and 1/16" woods. If you scale it up 50% you end up with a 54" tower. We did one of each size

the tower is constructed of three sections Bottom, middle, and top all of the parts would fit into the Versa in the 18" size. You will have to cut one section at a time and on the bottom you will have to cut each piece one at a time maybe you could fit two you will have to check.

There are angles on several of the pieces 45 degrees on the base, mid base and tall tops. Then there are 22.5 degree angles on the tower top to shape the octagon. We made a fixture to cut the 22.5 degree angles on the laser and then used a beveler to do the 45 degree angles.

We also added tabs and cutout notches so the assembly was easier and more exact.

It was a lot of fun I hope you all enjoy building one for yourself.

Another Eiffel tower model.

Hi all,

if you look at the real Eiffel tower and compare to the model shown in this thread you realize that model is not at all accurate. A few months ago I devoted myself to the task of creating a very accurate scroll saw model of the Eiffel tower. The plans can be used to make a wooden model or with minor changes a paper model. Here is the pic:

If you would like to see more pics of this model you can visit my web:
    http://www.finescrollsaw.com
    The tower is at
    http://www.finescrollsaw.com/eiffel-tower.htm

By the way this is my first post here. Today I have found this forum by chance. I am an amateur scroll saw crafter and designer.

Welcome to the 'Creek Pedro, very nice work there. And a fitting last name
    _Aaron_

The real one is López, but I ...

Thanks Aaron, Fret is not my last name. The real one is López, but I chose that one to register, since López is too common. Hope this is not a problem.

Pedro.

I would gladly change it to López-- you'd be the first, incidentally.
    _Aaron_

I cannot recommend a specific book but would check out a local hobby shop in the model railroad department. Most will have at least one book on building structures. An online search for the same type of book should turn up something. Just my 2cts worth.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold
    This is where a deskjet printer printing on inkjet vinyl is a huge plus.
    Inkjet vinyl is laser safe , mostly polyester , so you can print lets say a wall you cut in acrylic in full colour with a brick pattern.
    Then load the sheet of vinyl in the laser and die cut it and then apply to the wall. (not too difficult to make a registration system)
    You alread have the outline you laser cut so just use that to die cut the vinyl and hey presto , you have a brick wall with windows that fits exactly on the acrylic.
    I do this often and it's a lot easier to just apply the printed vinyl to the acrylic, leaving on the transfer tape, and cut on the laser though both.
    Remove the transfer tape and the wall is done. With desktop inkjets make sure it's dry and test to make sure the ink doesn't come off with the trasnsfer tape.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

15. I am looking for eiffel towe file, do you share your file, if not where i can have it thanks
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-15-2012 at 8:15 AM.