Thread: Bosch vs Festool Router!!

Bosch vs Festool Router!!

Let me start by saying I have several Festools but I by no means think they are the only quality tool company around. That out of the way, I haven't used my Bosch 16171 router in awhile and needed two routers for two different set ups. So, I broke out the old Bosch and my Festool OF 1400 EQ router. Wow.... There is a significant difference in quality. The Bosch is really loud compared to the Festool. My Festool router is a lot smoother, less vibration. The depth stop adjustment is a lot nicer. Not sure if it is really any more functional. Bosch has no dust collection and even though the dust collection with the Festool router doesn't collect 100% is makes a huge difference. The plunge action is a lot smoother. Bit change on the Festool only requires one wrench which is nice but not really a selling point. I did always like the more traditional handles on the Bosch router better but I have gotten use to Festools. So, I guess what I'm saying is in the last 3 years of owning a Festool router I haven't really thought about how much nicer the Festool router is compared to my old Bosch router or even my Porter Cable for that matter. Of course you will pay a premium for it! But I guess if you own a woodworking business and use your router everyday like I do I'd say it's worth it. Cheers
    Last edited by Calvin Williams; 05-20-2014 at 2:36 PM.

Some of the Festool routers are Mafell designs, presumably patent protected.

The little OF1010 is really nice, light and can be handled with one hand in many cases. Lee Valley now stocks a range of 8mm shank bits.

I agree with the OP completely, I have a bunch of routers. PC, Milwaukee etc. The Festool routers are way more money and you get way more quality, fit and finish.

Kind of like comparing my framing hammer to my Bostich framing nail gun. Same general purpose, but two different approaches to tool design. One a bare bones get the job done approach, the other a maximum functionality and ease approach. I'd like to see a dollar for dollar comparison. Say a cabinet build with 1festool router vs 3 dedicated routers. Of course, such a comparison is pointless to the hobbiest who is in this for pleasure. I know I prefer nicer tools any day. But for me the "Is it worth it?" Is always part of the equation.

I've owned the Festool OF1400 and the OF1010 for 4 years and have never gotten used to the difference in handling. The 1400 is quieter than the Bosch and maybe there's a tiny advantage in start-up torque for the Festool but my PC 892 beats them in both categories and the chuck releases in one step. The Dewalt 621 is louder but handles better than the Festool and the dust collection is comparable.

My OF1010 is permanently clamped to the LR32 plate, the OF1400 sits in a drawer rarely used.

If I had do-overs I'd skip the OF1400 purchase. Awkward handling, base with a big center hole that catches on corners, accessories that don't flush out with the base. So-so dust collection with aftermarket or home-made bases. If you're heavily invested in the Festoy system and do a lot of cross-grain routing on the MFT or with their guide rails it's a no-brainer and the quality is beyond reproach. But if you're looking for a mid-range plunge router for normal usage I'd recommend the Dewalt.

I have a lot of Festoys but that just makes me more aware that they're not the be-all end-all of portable power tools. The track saws are definite winners, the MFT/3 is great, the Domino is in a class by itself. The routers are great quality but handicapped in the handling department(although I don't own an OF2200 yet) and by their metric scales. Their sanders are so-so, you need to buy a couple of them to cover all the bases my Mirka Ceros can with one tool and none of them handle as well.

One of the Festool advantages is that they offer a 30-day no questions asked trial period. Buy it and if you don't think it suits you or is worth the extra cost, take it back for a full refund. That's the only way you'll know for sure if it's what you're looking for in a router, play with it for a while in your shop doing what you normally do.

HTH,
    Bill

I've got.. well.. ok.. way too many routers. the ones I reach for first are what I refer to as the 'good' DeWalts that B&D swiped from Elu way back in ye olden days. Even over the Festool routers, I reach for the DeWalts, and I first reach for my Festool sander, track saw, and that wonderful Domino every single project. But for the routers, the DW621 gets first pull every time, closely followed by the DW611, and rather rarely the biggun DW625. I don't grab for the Bosch, the Milwaukee, or any of the elder children P-C's or Black & Decker's.

Some good points Bill. I never have any problems with my Festool router like you mentioned. I'm definitely not 100% Festool but I do think they make some really quality tools. I have never used a DeWalt router before so I can't compare but I will take your word for it and if I see some need for a fifth router I'll take it into consideration. I do own several other "Festoys" as you refer and think they are all very nice tools. I especially think their sanders are top notch but then again I have never used a Mirka sander either. I only own two of them and I can't see a reason to buy another and I use them think every single day. The MFT looks cool but I just don't know if it would be beneficial to me or not.