Thread: Another Euro Hinge Question

Another Euro Hinge Question

I initially posted this in the worn forum. This should be correct now.

OK, how do you guys ensure that the cups on the doors and the clip part line up on the carcass?

Do you really measure and mark the carcass side and door separately?

Place the door on the constructed carcass and mark it?

Basically, what are your techniques to ensure the hinge parts and pieces line up properly?

Any cheap jigs/marking device that may help?

Yep, new at this, just trying to think things through before I pooch it.

Thanks.

PS these are frameless cabinets.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 05-20-2014 at 6:11 PM.

They make jigs for doing this which cost a small fortune. I don't have a small fortune, but I do have 1/2" plywood scraps. If I have a lot of doors the same size I will spend the 6 minutes required to make a jig. I mark the hinge centers on the doors, transfer these to the template, figure out the required set back for the clip holes on the carcuss, which is generally about 1 1/2" from the back of the door. Then I drill 1/4" holes through the template at the appropriate distance for my hinge clips, top and bottom, centers too if they are large doors, done. My jig always runs off the caruss bottom so you have to account for the door gap, I fit the doors before drilling hinge holes if inset. I use a vix bit for #6 screws which has a 1/4"OD tip and makes the perfect starter hole for #6X5/8" screws that hold on the hinge clips. I use the completed template after verifying by hanging one door to transfer all marks to the other doors, unless I'm using a drill press or blum press with stops, then I just make sure the template is correct an use it only for the cases as the hinge location is done by the machines stops.

If its just a few doors and I have enough access I just hole them up and mark hinge locations after installing the cups on the doors using the same vix bit for #6 screws. I don't ever measure and mark, that seems to be the quick road to problems.

I use this from Home Depot which include the forstner bit as well and it only costs 12 bucks
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-1...G-Q1/202280214

I set a stop block on my drill press fence to put the hinges at uniform position on the doors. Then Install hinges in doors. The I use a guage block set in the cabinet and set the door with the lower hinge setting on the guage block. Mark holes and drill, or drill with a vix bit. Easy, simple and cheap, and the doors end up consistently placed.

What hinge and plate are you using? I have various ways depending on hardware. As for cup holes, I use a drill press and home made jig with flip stops.

+1 on Duanes' method.
    I do the exact same thing.

I design the cabinets and doors, so holes are drilled before the cabinet is assembled.

I use the 32mm system which specifies the hinge hole positions.................Regards, Rod.

Have drilled holes for hinges, I then put the top base plate in hinge, then put door in hole and mark how far in the base plate goes, with that info I mark top and bottom.
    I then ensure door is right height, then with base plate in hinge you have marked to height and how far in, then with a self centering drill bit I drill one hole, put in a screw, you can then try it out to see
    if you have got all in right place, so now you can drill bottom hole and screw.

I used to measure but this method needs no setting out,if its a 5 hinge job you do the same, with mo measuring.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.