Thread: Honing Carbide-tipped Jointer knives?

Honing Carbide-tipped Jointer knives?

I have a homemade Deulen-type jig that I use to sharpen and hone HSS jointer knives, and I am very happy with the result. I have a set of carbide tipped knives that has been professionally sharpened, but I am not very impressed with the resulting edge and wood surface. Is there a way to hone carbide-tipped jointer knives with the Deulen jig and some mysterious sharpening compounds? I assume wet/dry SiC sandpaper would probably not be up to the task. Could I use diamond grit on some support? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Am I wasting my time trying to get a sharper edge on the carbide tool?

Scott

I can't really answer your specific question, but the reason I am replying is I would be interested in hearing about your jig, pictures if you have them. I have been looking at the jig and some homemade versions, but not sure which way I want to go. Homemade has to be cheaper, but I am concerned about establishing the correct angle and best method for holding blades.

Here's what I use for my dewalt planer knives.The blades are setting at 45.The first time I use the fixture I cut myself pretty good,so if you do try this method be careful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are those carbide knives and diamond hones?

I made a simple jig to hold two knives by cutting two slots in a flat piece of wood with my table saw. The ripping blade is 1/8" and the jointer blade is 1/8", so I did not do anything fancy to hold the knife in the slot. I use it against sandpaper on a flat glass surface and it works well. The block started out flat and is about 1/4" longer than the 8" blades. I made it two-sided, one at 38° and one at 40° (to use as a micro bevel.) I use a rod to push the knives out of the block--be careful, it is easy to cut yourself with this setup!

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes carbide tipped knives from infinity.And diamond.
    Looks like your using the same kinda sharpening jig.I also use smith diamond hone that sold at the Borg it's orange colored and thicker so it's safer to hold.

I made a holder similar to Scotts ... to hold the lades at 43* ... that's the angle that I measured on the cutting edges.
    I sharpen both the planer and jointer 12" carbide knives using DMT hones.
    First pass, 600 grit ... 2nd pass 1400 grit.
    Excellent results.

Thank you for all the advice. I will look into getting the diamond hones.

Andrew, your design loads up all three blades at once. Does that work well? Do you have a problem with working only two of the three blades because of tiny unevenness in height?

How did you manage to cut slots in granite? It would be very stable!

Scott

The original Deulen does have the metal inserts and locking screws for greater accuracy and less wear.

With the blades locked in place you turn it upside down and rub it on sandpaper over glass.

I like DMT diamond products. Personal preference but they work for me.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Hi Scott, it not granite it's piece of ikea counter top.The dewalt planer use pins to index the knives so I thought its better to keep them consistent .Dont know if it really matters much.
    I also have a fixture for my jointer knives that I turn upside down on granite and 400 grit paper.Since they are not carbide.Wish I had the Deulen jig looks like it quicker to set up and takes up less space to store.

If you use sandpaper on glass, remember that glass is somewhat flexible and needs to be fully supported.

John

I have a Quik-Hone that picked from Peachtree, at one of there woodwork shows last year. Has work very well for me, on both jointer and planer blades. Tom