Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK...this is the year...I'm going for it...

OK...this is the year...I'm going for it...

Yeah. I'm trying to psych myself up for this.

I keep threatening to do it...and I am going to. This is it. Just do it.

I am going to start sharpening my chisels and plane irons free-hand. No more honing guides, sharpening jigs or...whatever. Free-hand, baby!

Yep. There's no turning back.

Well...until I get tired of rounding off everything...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Rounding off everything is not the bad evil unprofessional thing that has somehow been the modern message! Start off the 'Paul Sellers' way and you will be a master in a month. It help with learning because is it 100% not neurotic about holding a perfect angle (which is close to impossible anyway, maybe japanese 1\4inch+ thick Irons) and it is so comfortable to do. soon enough you learn to feel when you are on the edge and how you are working it and then you have great control over what your doing be it a convex bevel or micro bevel. freedom in this case is not so far away! sharpening kitchen knives help with the learning too. just make sure to tell your wife what you have done...

And you probably have much more woodworking skill then me so far! it's time to do it man! just do it! do it! are you scared....? I bet you can get a sharp edge the first time! prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 05-22-2014 at 5:28 PM.

Harold- I own most blade holding jigs and have used sandpaper on glass, metal plates with dabs of diamond compound, and water stones. Using jigs I had difficulty achieving consistent angles despite notation with sharpies on the blades and despite registration with the Veritas jig with recorded angle settings. Micro adjustments to get flat registration of the bevel drove me nuts.
    I was taken with Paul Sellers' no-bulls*** discussions and videos. The short answer is I now use his freehand technique (with less exuberance) on 1000 and 5000 grit Shaptons, with a final run thru on chromium oxide on MDF. I hold the blade or chisel with my left hand and press down on the bevel with a couple of fingers on the right. The to and fro strokes create a modest curve, not an ultra flat bevel. I advance from 1000 to 5000 when I feel a burr on the flat of the blade, usually pretty quickly as I now sharpen more readily freehand. For the 5000 and the chromium oxide steps I often switch to side sharpening with the plane irons as I can see the swarf on the stone or MDF and visually assure that I am working the very edge of the blade, confirmed by seeing the shine on the end of the bevel.
    It takes longer to write this up than to do the drill. The blades are sharp and I'll never go back.
    Bruce

Harold, my hat is off to you, sir. But...we need pictures or it never happened.
    Ok, I am hoping to get some tips for what works for folks with this type of sharpening. So, pictures, my good sir.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I learned to sharpen at a Paul Sellers class years ago. I use what he taught, however I have gone to cross body strokes. ala Mike Dunbar. I find it is easier to lock my body in a manner to prevent the rocking of the tool on the stone. I do use Paul's 30 strokes on the leather after the diamond hones. You can lock your arms moving laterally from your hips and get a flat even edge. I use it for back bevel.

Blog Entries
    I am going to start sharpening my chisels and plane irons free-hand. No more honing guides, sharpening jigs or...whatever. Free-hand, baby!

Yep. There's no turning back.
    Should I PM you my address so you can truly free yourself of those evil things?

I was just thinking today while honing a PM V11 blade how nice it would be to have a holder. It and my thicker LN blades can be a hassle to sharpen free hand.

Once the guide is set up one can get the blade sharp faster. Usually though doing a blade without a guide can go faster because of the lack of set up time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

No need to get psyched up. I switched to freehand last year and the learning curve was shorter than I expected. Once I learned to relax I started getting consistent results. Once you get good at it you will probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Harold, how do you grind your tools right now?

Free-hand, baby!
    Madness.
    Sheer , I-forgot-to-put-my-pants-on-this-morning-and-I-don't-care-that-people-are-staring-and-pointing-at-me . . .
    barkingmadness.

There is help available for this. (and meds) You don't have to suffer alone.
    It is a good sign that you are willing to talk about it. It means you aren't too far gone.

Hopefully we can talk you down BEFORE you take the leap.

In the future when you begin to have those thoughts just call me. I know it is tempting. Believe me. I've been there. But down that dark tunnel lies false hope and it will all end in tears.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 05-22-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fleck View Post
    No need to get psyched up. I switched to freehand last year and the learning curve was shorter than I expected. Once I learned to relax I started getting consistent results. Once you get good at it you will probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    That is very true about being relaxed. I used to wonder how David Fink moves the blade is circular motions so easily and smoothly, then I tried it once totally relaxed and it was an eye opener, now I'll sometimes use that for micro bevels, I'm still experimenting with everything. changing stones doesn't help with the settling.

30 strokes on the leather after the diamond hones
    See now people tell me I take too long and used too many stones.
    If I take six strokes on each of five stones (which is literally about what I do) that is 30 strokes, the blade is more accurate than all that rocking around free hand stropping etc.,
    and
    I have saved all those strokes on the diamond that hasn't even been totaled up yet.

. . . I'm just saying . . .
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Actually, if you were going to do it and be successful you would have just done it and then posted the results. Here you are threatening to do it, kind of like someone threatening to shoot themselves. It is exactly the same thing as me asking some questions about how to make a coffin smoother and I haven't even started it yet and then some guy from outer Mongolia with just a Q-tip for tools posts pictures of the stadium full of planes he built.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Good for you Harold. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Harold, how do you grind your tools right now?
    Well, Dave...I have a variable speed 6" grinder with a white Norton AND I have a Grizzly slow speed 8".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Should I PM you my address so you can truly free yourself of those evil things?
    ummm...no.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Madness.
    Sheer , I-forgot-to-put-my-pants-on-this-morning-and-I-don't-care-that-people-are-staring-and-pointing-at-me . . .
    barkingmadness.

There is help available for this. (and meds) You don't have to suffer alone.
    It is a good sign that you are willing to talk about it. It means you aren't too far gone.

Hopefully we can talk you down BEFORE you take the leap.

In the future when you begin to have those thoughts just call me. I know it is tempting. Believe me. I've been there. But down that dark tunnel lies false hope and it will all end in tears.
    You, sir, should either be a professional writer...or you need professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Actually, if you were going to do it and be successful you would have just done it and then posted the results. Here you are threatening to do it, kind of like someone threatening to shoot themselves.
    Funny you brought that up...because I very well may shoot myself before this is over.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Actually, if you were going to do it and be successful you would have just done it and then posted the results. Here you are threatening to do it, kind of like someone threatening to shoot themselves. It is exactly the same thing as me asking some questions about how to make a coffin smoother and I haven't even started it yet and then some guy from outer Mongolia with just a Q-tip for tools posts pictures of the stadium full of planes he built.
    Yeah, sometimes we spend way too much time thinking about it and way too little time actually experimenting with it.