Thread: Menards pole barn install labor costs

Menards pole barn install labor costs

IL - Got a quote of $10,500 for labor only to put up a 40X64X16 with two 12X12 overhead doors and two ped doors and 4 windows and wainscoating. 11,500 if I want a porch. Is that labor price in line with other pole barn install jobs? No insulation, liners, electrical or anything else. Just looking for a sanity check. I hope to get more quotes next week.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Have you checked out Morton buildings. When I needed a Pole barn I was surprised that they could build it for just a couple hundred dollars more than I could buy the material and I had some wholesale accounts as I was in the construction trade and did build pole buildings at times.

Mike that price looks to be way over what I would consider a fair price. Labor prices will vary depending on where you live. Jerome has given you a good suggestion on Morton. They specialize in building pole buildings and have access to better prices because of the volume of materials they use and the experienced builders they use. Menard's subs out the labor and they cut themselves in for a good cut of the money involved.
    David B

Mike if I remember correctly Bloomington is out in the boonies are there any Amish like in Indiana

Menards is not involved in this labor or all - they just sell the building.

The same Cleary building with only one large overhead door and 4" concrete not 5", was $45K. The builder putting up the menards building and 5" concrete was $39K.

I did not get a Morton building quote. I will seek one.

I am getting other labor prices.

Breakdown so far

$16,500 - 40X64X16 with two 12X12 overhead doors, two ped doors, and four 42X60 windows bought from menards.
    $8960 concrete and mesh installed
    $10,500 labor for building
    $700 concrete for 22X9 porch pad
    $1000 for porch materials from menards
    $1000 labor for porch
    $1500 in grading and material for site prep

You can also buy the building uring the 11% rebate (GC actually not cash) weekends
    And a Menards card pays 2% back.

I just contacted Shrock Amish Builders in Arthur IL. I will give them a chance to build as well.

Do you really need that much height? My experience is that a shorter building is quite a bit less expensive. 16' is high enough for a combine.

I agree with Jim. In my opinion, 12' is really great to have and offers some nice advantages. Once you get over that it starts to seem like overkill. So unless you have a specific plan for something that will utilize that height, then I'd bring it down a few feet and potentially cut the cost a decent amount. My .02 at least. Good luck with the build whatever you go with!

I am wanting a loft/second floor in part of it. I will also have multi bay pallet storage like a warehouse. I priced a 14' and it was $2K cheaper.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 05-26-2014 at 7:36 PM.

The Morton buildings around here have a slightly raised center like they use scissor trusses. That way they can sell a 14' building with a 16' high ceiling.

I built one almost exactly the same size - 40 x 64 x 16 1/2. I have a mezzanine along one side and the end. The mezzanine comes in 12' from the outside walls. That added an additional 1100 sq ft of floor space. I made it 16 1/2 high to give me a little extra ceiling height in the mezzanine. So it's an 8' ceiling underneath the mezzanine, then 2 x 12 floor joists and some flooring. That left around 7' 4" or something like that for the mezzanine ceiling height. I could have made the building 17' or higher too, but I wanted to keep the height to the minimum so it didn't look overly tall in the location where I have it and it kept the cost down a little bit.

Third quote today - $42K - I barely had even talked to the guy. I am feeling like the Menards boy called the guys he sent my way. I think I need some unrefered quotes now LOL.

Amish in Arthur dont want to drive this far - At least Schrock did not want to.

Waiting has me really thinking about in floor heating and a ceiling.

Maybe it would be cheaper to just add a few square feet and and keep the height as low as possible. I have built a few tall buildings, and they are much more difficult than shorter ones. I have framed a 1200 sq ft house by myself. Would not want to try that on a 16' tall sidewall building.