Thread: 16" Fiddle Maple #7

16" Fiddle Maple #7

Bigger and a nice mixture of brown and white maple. The rim was running true until I hollowed out the inner portion of the bowl. Thank goodness the rim was all sanded out before I turned the rest. The area around the knot (darkest in photo) warped very quickly. This bowl has only two coats of Formby's gloss tung oil. It is 16" in diameter and 3 3/4" deep. I really like the large open rim on this piece. I have 4 more blanks about this size that are now dry. Can't wait to see what that would will show. Thanks to all the comments on this wood. I hope everyone finds some wood that has so much beauty and turns so well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

are you sure that this bowl are made from wood , it could be mistaken for china

This (these) could be your trademark shape. Well done. You are brave keeping that knot in the rim

Beautiful piece! That knot in the rim had to be harrowing.

eye-grabbing!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Love the foot and the details therebouts.............
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

that is really attractive! nice job.

8. You Sir, are having waaaaay too much fun! Another beauty, Bob! Nicely formed..........I like the inner bead that defines the rim, especially, and of course the nicely figured wood.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You Sir, are having waaaaay too much fun! Another beauty, Bob! Nicely formed..........I like the inner bead that defines the rim, especially, and of course the nicely figured wood.
    Thanks Roger. This maple has been a pleasure to turn. Even though it is dry it turns like working wet wood. That small not wasn't even a problem. I will be sad when I don't have any to turn.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

What a wonderful bowl! I saw a burl like that when I went to AZ. Well done!

Looks great! love all the grain!